Have You Made One Of These?

Robert66

HEeBrQc.png

I would secretly love to make one of these for our son as a lasting memory from me.

I know the Chinese one, which he talks about is only bevelled one side, does this mean that there is a right and left handed one?, he is a lefty.

Getting material in small batches here is hard.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

From my understanding of Chinese made knives, Yes, if it only has one side it there can be a right handed and a left handed knife.

From my understanding of Chinese made knives, Yes, if it only has one side it there can be a right handed and a left handed knife.

Thanks.

I am trying to establish if a person who is left handed will have the bevel on the left or right when facing the food to be cut.

Thanks.

I am trying to establish if a person who is left handed will have the bevel on the left or right when facing the food to be cut.
Thanks.

a lefty would have a bevel to the lefty and a righty would be to the right is my understanding.

It would perform better with a dual bevel. Single bevel knives have their place but not as an all purpose knife. Chinese cleavers are typically double beveled. You see single bevels primarily on Japanese blades intended for delicate beautiful cuts. Chinese cooking on the other hand is about expediency.

I’m a big fan of Chinese cleavers. I think they are fantastic all purpose chef knives.

Thank you all for your comments , I thought it was a interesting poser.

Someone told me I could make one by cutting up a used, old circular saw blade, BUT how would I know which blade to use?

I know I repeat things but here it is not easy to get small quantity new metal without being robbed.

Robert, I see the British flag, are you in the UK?

Yes pal, in the UK where we are being taken over.

We had a fantastic 2 month vacation in Vegas in 2007 living in Henderson, the shooting, hunting fraternity looked after me on several outings, they took me to stores we could not even imagine here, I brought folding knives back to UK and 2 fishing rods, I still have the rods but my mates scrounged knives.

I know I repeat things but here it is not easy to get small quantity new metal without being robbed.
did you look at any of the websites I posted? $35 for a 5/32" x 3" x 19" piece of O1 is not a bad price. that would be enough steel for 2 nice cleavers. i am sure if you search you can find better buys.
cheers

Yes thank you, I am grateful for all help, I did look and could not figure out where this company is situated, I am hopeless on the internet.
I seen dollar and pound signs

Back