Heat treat for CPM- 3V

bubba-san

Heat treat for cpm3-V sword
I was wondering , has anyone made any swords from CPM 3-V steel . If so what kind of RC are you using for swords ? I am sure that RC is a bit lower than small knives !

Have a few chunks of it and I thought I would give it a try... Would like a HT sheet if available ? I probably wont HT my self but, send it to my buddy in Texas . Any input is appreciated ... Bubba​

Attachments

• CPM-3V Blades 002.JPG
    CPM-3V Blades 002.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 20
Bubba, my stuff is heat treated by Peter's but the schedules I request use a low temper around 400f and cryo. I shoot for 59 hrc. Hope that helps

I have tried Peters for HT on some stainless, he does good work . I wonder if the cryo makes the 3-V a little tougher ?? I heard that it does ??

Awesome question. I went through this a few years back. Crucible's high temperatures leave a bunch of ugly oxides and take a look at the curve. A very minor overshoot or variance can make a huge rockwell difference. A number of well respected makers use the low temps - Jerry Hossum comes to mind - so I asked the question of Crucible (Scott Devana at the time). The answer I got back was that they do not recommend the low temperature and would expect possibly a brittle blade.

Still, there are lots of shops using the 400F temper (triple temper BTW) and having good results. I've done both - lean towards low temperature - and have never had a customer complain with either process. There may have been a time or two I turned the air blue if I overshot the high temper and had to start over. :34:

Rob!

Last edited:
If doing the high temper I'd leave out the cryo. I thought jerry was a high temper guy? Any way there's a bunch of threads or there. I can did one up from hypefreeblades and some more if you'd like Bubba.

Would the difference in the high temp, and low temp, temper make a lot of difference in a longer blade ? I would think a lower RC in longer blade for some toughness . ?

Never made a big blade from 3V . Meaning 12" - 25" . Made a few smaller blades 3"-6" no problem with peters HT on those . ....... Bubba

I've haven't made a 3V sword but its on my to do list. I suggest equalize @ 1525, soak @ 1880 for 45 minutes, quench, & triple temper @ 1000. That should yield HRC 55-56. LN isn't necessary but can't hurt.
If you send it to Peters, Brad will nail whatever hardness you specify. Dan Keffeler has made a few 3V swords, you may wanna contact him to get his opinion.

Thanks for all the info . I have 2 more pieces . They have 24" cutting edge but are .150+ where the other 3 are .250+. May have to try for a good spring temper on those . I will do a little experimenting as I go along . Thanks Bubba

Attachments

• CPM 3-V 001.JPG
    CPM 3-V 001.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 20
  • CPM 3-V 002.JPG
    CPM 3-V 002.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 14
Back