Heat treating outside in winter?

remist17

I take my forge (2 brick design) outside to heat my knifes. I have two blades now but have been holding off since its 20 deg out side. I was looking for advise if I should hold off or it is ok to heat some metal this weekend. I am thinking no, since it is so cold out the knife would cool so fast before quench and it would be harder to keep the quench oil at 120 or above.

Thanks

I have the same dilema with my my little two-brick forge. Is there a rough rule on outside temp for heat treat? I was thinking as long as my quench is at the right temp I should be OK, but I'd like to know what the veterans think.

-Aaron

Remist,
Just go ahead and do it. As long as you're not taking the hot blade on a ten mile hike before quenching. The important part here is to get your oil up to temp.....heat a couple of pieces of scrap steel and heat the oil to or at least near temp, you want some viscosity to the oil. (unless you're dealing with a 20-30 gallon tank) Heat the oil before you heat the blade, oil retains its heat for quite a while. Where's your sense of adventure ?

Rudy

I did some heat treating outside last week in about 10 deg weather. Ended up putting my quench oil on a Coleman camp stove to get it up to about 140 degrees. Seemed to harden pretty well for me.

-Aaron

Remist,
Just go ahead and do it. As long as you're not taking the hot blade on a ten mile hike before quenching. The important part here is to get your oil up to temp.....heat a couple of pieces of scrap steel and heat the oil to or at least near temp, you want some viscosity to the oil. (unless you're dealing with a 20-30 gallon tank) Heat the oil before you heat the blade, oil retains its heat for quite a while. Where's your sense of adventure ?

Rudy

I'm with Rudy on this one. Be sure the quench is up to temp and very close to the forge but cold air seems like it would be an advantage as you are trying to quench it anyway.

Back