Hello from Central Wisconsin

Tooln

I just joined a few days ago, so here's a little about myself. I was born and raised on a farm but found that wasn't for me. I did a stint in construction building barns and sheds, also spent some time in a fab shop before long entering a long career in the dairy/cheese/butter industry as a card carrying maintenance tech. With the majority of those year as the lead. I recently retired and looking to fill my time. I've always had welders but now looking to start forging. I joined here to learn so if you see me asking question it's because its all new to me. I'm looking to get a gas forge main use will be knives but first it will be decorative scrolls for towels racks coat hangers and such then once I get the hang of it it's on to knives. Then who knows what I'll try hammering out. My first purchases will be a decent anvil and forge. So I'm open to suggestions. Also wondering if anyone else here from the area.

Last edited:
Welcome. I think we have others in that area. I can make a few suggestions on the forge and anvil if you wish. I began as a blacksmith maybe 10 years ago but I also make knives (maybe three or four years of that). I have wasted a lot of money on stuff maybe I can help you avoid the same.

Welcome. I think we have others in that area. I can make a few suggestions on the forge and anvil if you wish. I began as a blacksmith maybe 10 years ago but I also make knives (maybe three or four years of that). I have wasted a lot of money on stuff maybe I can help you avoid the same.
Thanks for the welcome. I'm open to suggestions. Either here or in private messages if this forum has that option. Still learning this site.

It does but in this case the open forum is good. I will have to post this in short pieces as I am literally in the shop forge welding some canister right now. I am looking at this between heats.

The problem I ran into was that the gas forge needs for knife making are different than the needs for a blacksmith. Knife makers prefer smaller round forges with the burner set at an angle to encourage even heat on the piece. Blacksmiths need larger forges and the angle of the burner is not as important in my opinion. Forging decorative ironworks like scrolls you will run out of space in a smaller round forge quickly. I currently have two gas forges I work out of depending on the project.

For my blacksmith forge I prefer the two burner artisan’s forge from majestic forge. The set up allows for a lot of flexibility in fitting a piece in the forge. The burners blow straight down on the piece but that is not a negative for a blacksmith because most of the time we only want to heat a section of the steel at a time and not the whole piece.
My knife making and forge welding forge is a Matthew and Sons single burner round forge with fire brick doors front and back. The burner blows at an angle into the forge and although the angle could be better it heats pretty evenly and forge welds awesome. It is built very strong and insulated well with two inches of blanket not just one. It is rigidified properly and ready to go.
There are many companies that make forges but I would recommend sticking with the main companies in this case. Many of the ebay providers make poorly built forges (my opinion).
You could always build you own too just depends on you preference.

This is not to say you cannot make knives in a blacksmith forge you can for sure its just not optimum. If I could only have one it would be my Blacksmith forge for sure because I can do way more work in that one.

Good afternoon, Toolin. It doesn't look like there's any ABANA affiliates near Central WI, but you might want to check out the Upper Midwest Blacksmith Association (http://umba.name/) to see if they have members nearby (if you're OK dealing with FIBs that is... ;))

The problem I ran into was that the gas forge needs for knife making are different than the needs for a blacksmith. Knife makers prefer smaller round forges with the burner set at an angle to encourage even heat on the piece. Blacksmiths need larger forges and the angle of the burner is not as important in my opinion. Forging decorative ironworks like scrolls you will run out of space in a smaller round forge quickly. I currently have two gas forges I work out of depending on the project.
Here's one I am considering.

Here's one I am considering.
I am not very knowledgeable about gas fittings and gas lines and burners to give a good opinion on that stuff. I know some makers use air hose for gas lines and that is dangerous but I do not know if that is one of them. I can see it only has one inch of insulation though. Really should be two inches. I think you can do better for pretty much the same money. I will look around tonight and post a couple of suggestions in the under $400 category. Just remember I am not an expert but I think most here would agree with me to look elsewhere.

This is my main forge. You can do a lot in this forge except for very large projects.

This is my blacksmith forge. Great for blacksmith work not as good for knives but I made many a knife in this forge. Its not insulated as well as the Matthewson forge but I have forge welded in this one too.

Back