Hello from East Texas

Pepper55

My name is Mark. I’m 64 retired and recently started setting up a shop to keep busy and have some fun and make some knives. I picked up an old 3 speed kmg with an 8” contact wheel and a flat platen off CL for $900 last month. Browsing through old threads I discovered the bandsaw I was considering would be useless for cutting knife blanks and a portable bandsaw with a swag table would do the job well. Though I am a newby here, the forum has already kept me from wasting some time and cash! I’m wondering if there is any event where knifemakers get together to show their wares and socialize? Thank you for allowing me to join and benefit from your experience.

There are events on every level to go see other makers from Blade Show to your local craft fairs. Look for local or state knife making or blacksmithing “guilds” or “clubs” and you will be surprised how many will willingly share info with you. Search “hammer-ins” for your area and you may get lucky there too. We have a few members from Texas too so I am sure they may chime in as well. Welcome

If you like knives, try to make it to the Blade Show in June.
The first time you walk in and look around you will think "How the H*** did I miss this all my life?".
Of course, Chris is right, Texas is full of great knifemakers.
Nothing helped me along more in this craft than working at the forge or grinder with an instructor at my side correcting me.
There's lots of accumulated experience and helpfulness on this forum too.
Welcome to the addiction and have fun!

Welcome to KD. There is a Texas knife making guild to begin your journey of contacting other makers, get togethers, guild meetings, etc. A member on here is the acting president. You may want to reach out to him.

Jason Fry
http://www.frycustomknives.com
@frycustomknives on Instagram
Voting Member, Knifemaker's Guild
ABS Apprentice
President, Texas Knifemakers' Guild

Welcome to Knife Dogs!! Check out local Blacksmith clubs in your area for local shows, Hammer ins etc.. I still have not been to a large National Show (not that I don't want to!). The local stuff is a BLAST! You get to meet like minded folks that love to talk and spread information. Good luck on your journey, your in the right place!!

Thank you all for the welcome! Its great having access to your knowledge and experience. Looking forward to finishing my shop, Im sure I’ll be seeking advice in the forums.

Back