Hello from Okla.

Fatstrat

I don't consider myself a "knife maker". I'm more of refurbisher. Coming from modest means I developed a means of getting thing I wanted, but couldn't afford. By buying broken/poor condition examples cheap, and then repairing them. And I've become kind of a "fix it" type guy to many people (Family/friends). The main focus of my hobby was guns for many years. But in recent years finding project guns at affordable prices, and the parts to fix them became more and more difficult. So I started looking for other venues. I got into knives about the time that Camillus went out of business. And there were many B stock blades available on eBay. And I bought about a dozen. All of them USMC style blades because I like big knives. Some USMC marked, some not. Contacted KA BAR (Cutco) and learned they sold re-handle kits. And went from there learning how to put stacked leather handles on knives. It was hit & miss at first as I learned and developed my way of doing it. But I eventually got pretty good at it. I gave nearly all my projects away to family & friends.
When I ran out of Camillus blades, I started looking at pre made blades. But was suspicious of quality. So I began searching the internet auctions (mostly eBay) for USMC knives in poor condition. I figured if these were good enough for WW-2 soldiers, the steel is good enough for me. As a gun guy I am conscious of them being historical artifacts, so I only purchased examples in poor condition. And depending on blade condition, I either refurbished them in mostly original configuration. Or if a heavily worn or broken tip blade, I modified them.
Then I had someone ask me for a smaller knife for hunting. And I choose to begin some WW-2 Remington/PAL 36 projects.
As you might surmise, all my projects have been stacked leather handles. But I'm considering trying other materials. So that why I joined. Hoping to learn. Here's some pics of some of my projects. On the 1st one is a Camillus blade that had big chunk out of the top near the tip that I modified the blade and made a different guard.
IMAG0309_zps5558a3d2.jpg

Last edited:
welcome i have people ask me for help to "fix" there knives all the time. some i can some i cant. anyways welcome and hope to be seeing more or your work. it great to preverse the past to see if it can help the future generation like myslef.

that's what happened to me about 30 years ago. i could afford the broken ones then being able to fix them took over. now i would rather make or fix a knife than own it. welcome from Tulsa
i just picked up 2 bolo knives on ebay a 1917 and a 1945 corpmans bolo.

Last edited:
that's what happened to me about 30 years ago. i could afford the broken ones then being able to fix them took over. now i would rather make or fix a knife than own it. welcome from Tulsa
i just picked up 2 bolo knives on ebay a 1917 and a 1945 corpmans bolo.

I bought an old Kinfolks 380 knife at a pawnshop in Miami for $10. yesterday. Doesn't need repaired, but I thought it was good deal.

Fatstra,
Welcome to KDs and please stick around. I also have people ask me for Fix Its! Being a knife maker I do a few for friends and good customers but would love to have a go to guy for leather stack and other handle jobs that I don't have time for.

Stick around and enjoy! We have all kinds of people here that will gladly share there knowledge.
Perhaps you can teach us a few things.

Welcome to KD from Hialeah. Next to Miami but, in Florida. I'm probably the only maker here who hasn't repaired an old knife. In Hialeah we refurb "machetes"!

Back