Hellow from Gonzales, Tx via Winnsboro, La

Redbaird

Hello Bladesmiths,
This is my first...... well everything. First post and first knife. I bought a cheap anvil, cheap belt sander, cheap forge..... and hammered out my first knife. I work on the road as a project manager for a construction company so I have a couple hours each evening to blow. After 2 weeks of beating 1/2" re-bar (and my right forearm) into submission, I bought a chunk of 1095 and went to work. The handle is a piece of mesquite and whitetail antler. The mesquite come from a tree cut down on the project I am on and the antler was cut off of a road kill buck a buddy of mine found close to the RV park (No I didn't make that up). I hardened and tempered it and to my surprise, no warps or cracks. And it actually cuts. I have enjoyed forging so much it will not be long before I upgrade my tool kit.
IMG_1106[1].JPG

Thanks Marc. I quit polishing it a little early to get the edge done. I wasn't sure the metal was good but it ended up shaving hair. I made 43 mistakes but they won't happen again!

Thanks Marc. I quit polishing it a little early to get the edge done. I wasn't sure the metal was good but it ended up shaving hair. I made 43 mistakes but they won't happen again!
Only 43? You're well ahead of me. I make 43 mistakes just in the planning stage ! Welcome aboard.

Back