help plunge lines!!!!!!!

Keyforgeknifes

I have ben grinding knifes and I keep having mi plunge line drift what do I, can I do anything or just more practice?

thanks Nathan

More practice and maybe try to grind your off hand side first so you can match the other side with dominant hand. If you have any pictures it might help us figure our what you are doing?

A file guide might help. You might also try saving the plunges until closer to the end for final cleanup. Part of your ability to do that will depend on how stable your grinder's tracking is while grinding toward the edge of your platen or wheel.

Also, make sure you're using a fresh sharp belt.

As a side note, you don’t need a fancy file guide for grinding. Drill and tap two pieces of steel to make a clamp. On mine I used some scrap 1075. 1/4 inch thickness and 3/4 inch wide x 2-1/2 inches long. Simple heat treat.

Drill and tap two pieces of steel to make a clamp. On mine I used some scrap 1075. 1/4 inch thickness and 3/4 inch wide x 2-1/2 inches long. Simple heat treat.
That is what I did, just make sure it matches side to side or your plunges on either side will not match up.

Back