Help re contact wheel

Rick Weaver

Hey guys I have a problem.

I am new at knife making, having only made three or four knives. I bought a used Wilton grinder and today I put the large contact wheel on it. Up till now I have been using the platen with the smaller wheels. I wanted to see the difference in grinding with the wheel instead.

Anyway, I hadn't had the machine on three or four minutes when I heard a distinct "pop". Stopped the machine and couldn't find anything wrong. Started it back up and noticed that the rubber on the wheel was "pouched" backward when the machine was running.

So, stopped the machine again and determined that the rubber pad is loose on the metal wheel.

My question: Is the rubber supposed to be loose?

If not, can I simply glue or epoxy it back on?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rick

Ole Blood, here is a thread that I found on this forum that might help. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/629119-How-do-I-bond-Rubber-to-steel

If it's "pouched" behind the wheel when running, it probably means the whole tire is loose from the hub. Don't use it any more. I doubt epoxy or glues will remedy the problem....the tire may be stretched and won't fit properly again. They're usually vulcanised on the hub for proper fit. There are a couple places that retire the hubs, maybe someone will come back with a link.

rudy

I would have to agree with Rudy. It's not worth your safety to glue it back with any kind of epoxy. Epoxy will come loose when heated up so I really wouldn't put to much faith in it when it comes to that and I'm pretty sure most others will too.

I had a 2" wheel that the poly came lose on because of heat. I used epoxy and glued it back on. It lasted a week or two and came off again. I got a new wheel and made sure not to over tighten and bind the bearings and it has been fine since.

Back