Help with a Forge

About three months ago when I started forging I built my own from a Freon tank, weed burning torch and some pipe. It works very well but has a cold spot right in the center about 2.5 inches diameter. I think its because my pipe is entering to far into the forge.

A few weeks ago i was chasing down an anvil and a guy gave me a double burner horseshoeing forge for free. While this forge is vastly better than my homemade job the rectangular shape makes it difficult to work in as its not very deep and has all the hot spots associated with the shape.

My question is, could i just take an angle grinder, cut out the burners on the square forge, cut a hole to match in a cylinder, and weld them in place? Would it be that easy? I've attached pics of both forges. I would probably pay a visit to the scrap yard for another freon tank for the new forge body.

I really appreciate any help you might be able to offer!

Attachments

• homemade forge.jpg
    homemade forge.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 2011-02-04 15.55.55.jpg
    2011-02-04 15.55.55.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 15
You should be able to to remove the burners and re-use them. I would recommend that on your next forge you set it to where the burner is entering at the top, but from the side so that as the flame enters the chamber of the forge it is creating a "swirling effect". This will allow for the burners to more evenly distribute heat throughout the forge.

I'll text you a photo of what I'm talking about.

Back