Help

G

GaryH

First off if this is not in the right area please move it to the right section. I would like to know if there are any knife makers in Illinois or surrounding states that I could pay for some knife making instruction. I'd like to at least see them forge a blade but would mainly like to be able to make a decent looking stock removal knife that performs very well. I just got some equipment together but am not having much luck grinding the blade. I know it takes practice but I don't have alot of time to use learning it all on my own. I'm 54 and on disability because of a failed spinal fusion. I can work for awhile each day but not for 8-10 hours. I'd like to use the time I have to build a knife, not leaning how to grind it on my own. Also I can't travel far from home as my wife of 35 years has ovarian cancer. Knife making as a hobby will occupy time doing something constructive with an added plus of having a knife I can give to friends or relatives. Also,and this is the main thing,it will allow me to be there for my wife. If my back feels good at 2:00 am I can put some shop time in. If anyone would be interested in in this I'd like to be able to come to your shop for 3-5 days or so. If you are working on a project of your own I'll stay out of your way and keep my mouth shut,learning by observing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. GaryH.......garyh@casscomm.com

Sorry I can't help you out Gary, I'm just a newbie myself and I'm way down here in Mississippi. Give it some time and surely someone will chime in with an offer of assistance. We got a fine pack of dogs around here and someone is sure to be near your neck of the woods.

Where are you at, Gary. I'm down in the Decatur area. I can't teach anything but my bad habits but I met a man in the area who will work with beginners. I haven't used him yet so I don't know how he is to work with but I met another smith who thinks highly of him. I'd be willing to give him a call to see if it would be ok to give you his phone number so that you could talk to him if you want. Just let me know.

I live outside of Havana Illinois. If it's close enough I can drive to and home that would be good but I can also travel 3-400 miles if needed and get a motel. My sister-in-law can stay with my wife for a couple of days.Closer is better ie: cheaper with no motel,gas ect. but I don't want to pass up any opportunity. I sure wish I would have started this exciting and interesting trip when I was younger,had more money,and was in better shape but the need to make a living always got in the way. I always knew it took alot of hard work and talent to make a good knife but I can't believe I'm so damn inept that I can't flat or hollow grind a decent looking blade. I sold my musical equipment to buy a KMG and more good equipment so the lack of machinery isn't the problem,it's me. Oh well if it was easy everybody would be a knife maker. If I had more time I think I'd get it but a jump start would certainly help. Thanks alot for your kind replies. P.S. I also have an Evenheat kiln I bought from Tracey

Gary.
It does take a "bit" of time and effort to get on to the grinding but yes I too believe it's worth it. I do believe your idea of getting some help, training, or hanging around time, will be a huge step in helping you. It's just my opinion but I think you would get the most help to spend time first with a stock removal maker. As well, with your severe back problem, some of the forging thing could be far from what you can do. I'm sure there are lots of makers out there who will give you a boost. I sure wish I was handy for you to visit me. I have enjoyed helping several makers get started on liner locking folders. I wouldn't mind at all trying to pass along my way of grinding. Frank

Gary,
I'm a bit further away, but I would be willing to help, maybe when the weather warms. Many people like to vacation in the area, but there are some reasonable hotels in the area. Call me if you want to chat, I have been doing this for awhile and I am currently on my fourth apprentice. I should be able to give you some tips on the phone that may help once I know what equipment you are using. I learned without anyone helping me and one of my favorite lines to my students is "I have screwed up in almost every way imaginable and now I know what not to do" It also helps me recognise a problem someone else is having and how to correct it.

Don't forget to look for hammer-ins around the area. They usually have SO much knowledge and talent at one place that it's literally sensory overload. I'm sure a few of the guys here have them but they are scattered around. You also get to hob-nob with some of the best knifemakers. Just remember no matter how much you watch someone it still takes a lot of practice. Good luck.

Pat

I sent you an email Mr. Ealy. I've been looking for hammer ins and or classes but most are later in the spring Patrick. You're so right about the people you can meet at them and also about needing to put the time in on your grinder to get the process down. I'd like to have a one on one situation where I can ask the questions that concern me and then go to my grinder to try it out. I can put a knife together but the grinds are NEVER the same and I have questions about other areas also. The tutorials here have been wonderful. I have notes all over the place. I feel I can be a at least decent maker eventually but I don't know how long my back will hold up and more importantly how my wife's health will be. As everybody here knows it's not an easy or short road to becoming a "real" knifemaker. It my case it's even harder because I'm worried about my wife 24-7. Thanks again for everyones kind advice.

Back