Homemade handle material.

Guindesigns

I want to make some homemade paper Micarta. But the fiber glass resin won't set up. I've tried this two time and both no set up the second time I use way more hardener than it said to and still nothing.

Sounds like you may have a bad batch! Using more hardener should have made a hot batch and it should have set almost before you can use it!! If it is old dump it and start with a fresh batch!!

second time I use way more hardener than it said
Just how much is "way more"? 2 times the amount of hardener could well prevent the epoxy from curing. I'd suggest mixing a very small (1 oz or so) to confirm you've got the right mix. Make sure the labels didn't get crossed between hardener and resin.

Just how much is "way more"? 2 times the amount of hardener could well prevent the epoxy from curing. I'd suggest mixing a very small (1 oz or so) to confirm you've got the right mix. Make sure the labels didn't get crossed between hardener and resin.
It called for like 100 drops and I put in like 120 to be sure. I made sure all that it just didn't harden. I figured it just a bad batch of resin but wasn't for sure. id really like to make my own handle material but need to be able to do it on a consistent bases.

Oh, you're talking about polyester resin, NOT epoxy resin? If you're making things for knives, should it not be from epoxy? OR - is polyester resin suitable for micrata? I don't know - never made any micrata. Used a lot of fiberglass molding bike frames back in '70s, and boat work in '80s 'n '90s before moving to epoxy.

the poly resin is what all the swirly-wirly multi color handles are made from. It is real easy to use...so there must be a problem with chemicals?

Oh, you're talking about polyester resin, NOT epoxy resin? If you're making things for knives, should it not be from epoxy? OR - is polyester resin suitable for micrata? I don't know - never made any micrata. Used a lot of fiberglass molding bike frames back in '70s, and boat work in '80s 'n '90s before moving to epoxy.
I'm not sure but it is whatever bondo brand is.

I use Bondo Brand Fiberglass Resin. It works fine for me, I mix it per the directions and in a 60 degree shop it really starts to heat up around minutes after I mix it

About the ONLY reason I can think of to use polyester resin vs epoxy is the cost. Polyester is quite a bit less expensive, nor is it as strong as epoxy. Polyester resin is what was used for many years for fiberglass, and still is for many aspects of fiberglass due to lesser cost. Epoxy's are used when greater strength is desired. Bondo got it's fame more years ago than I can remember as body filler in car repair. It's polyester resin mixed with a chalk type thing.

Back in the early 1970s in the early years of custom bike building (choppers, outlaw bikers, etc) bondo was used for frame molding, but quickly lost favor because it would tend to crack with the vibrations from the "big twin" Harley's. I made my own form of filler by using polyester resin mixed with micro-ballons, and making sure the filler only used in thin layers. We didn't know anything about epoxies back then.

enough rambling.

Ken H>

I used the bondo stuff and didn't have a problem.But after talking to Ed I would never use it on a knife I was going to sell.

I have had trouble with polyester resin setting here due to the 200% summer humidity here. I have had some sucess using a lamp for added heat. Just be careful the fumes can be a problem near a heat source.

I missed something, could you share?
Ed talked to a guy at the plant for Devon and they said I forgot how many yrs it lasts but they don't want to make it better because it would hurt biz.Ed said he had handles come off yrs down the rd so he did some research and now he uses Arcra Glass.You can get the real deal from him I may have left something out.

To each his own but I can't figure out why anyone would want to waste time and money making Micarta when you can buy it dirt cheap. Sure, some of the colors are pricier than others but they're still cheap compared to the time and money spent making it. Especially when you wind up with something you can't use.

I kind of see your point, Darrin, but there are colors and textures that you just can't find out there. Like blue denim or burlap. Personally, I don't see why you don't use wood. It's worked for millennia.

Doug

for me it is weight issue. stabilized wood or micarta just weighs more than plain wood. As Doug just said, wood has been knife handles for 1000's of years.

I like to make my own because I’m a hobbyist not a business. It makes me feel cooler to know that I made my handles from Raw Material and there isn’t another like it out there. If I get big into it I’ll start getting more serious about buying micarta

I like to make my own because I’m a hobbyist not a business. It makes me feel cooler to know that I made my handles from Raw Material and there isn’t another like it out there. If I get big into it I’ll start getting more serious about buying micarta
That is a sentiment I fully understand. It is one I often apply to myself as an excuse to try making something new that I havent done before. I have to admit to having bought some different canvases and white and natural hessian (burlap) to have a try at making some as well

Back