Horsemans sheath.

roughcountry

I just finished a blade and simple sheath to go with a 1918 vintage 94 winchester carbine. I tried for a knife and sheath I thought would fit that time in this country. Big enough to split some kindling but small enough to peel a elk.
The sheath I thought needed to be a high carry to clear the cantle of my saddle. I have no refferance material, just a guess on my part.
005-2.jpg

012.jpg

Nice, Robin, that knife kind of reminds me of "The Last Dogman" Bowie from the movie "The Last Of The Dogmen" starring Tom Berringer.
Sheath looks really nice for the rig.

Paul

Thanks Paul. I'm getting back into the shop and liking the smells of leather after tromping in the snow all winter. I'll watch for that movie.
Robin

Thanks Denny, I'm trying to pay attention around here. Hope some of you guys talent rubbs off.

Had a great winter with the dogs, lots of fun even though it was dang cold at times. Lots of treed lions and memories for years to come.

Robin, I love your sheaths. Your new one looks to be a great match for that great camp knife.

I want to show a couple sheaths you made for me several years ago.

olderBumps013.jpg

Hi Bruce, Thanks for the kind words. Your the one responsible for getting me to learn how to do anything more than a work sheath. I think that bottom one is a sheath- knife combo I've kicked myself for not taking pictures of. Is it the knife that has the little blade in the handle? I didn't have a digital camera back then.
Thanks for the coaching on the heat treat for this one, first time I've tried for a softer spine.

I've got it sharp now and it's looking for a job. I did draw a spring bear tag so maybe it has work to do.
Robin

Hi Bruce, Thanks for the kind words. Your the one responsible for getting me to learn how to do anything more than a work sheath. I think that bottom one is a sheath- knife combo I've kicked myself for not taking pictures of. thIs is the knife that has the little blade in the handle?
Robin

Yep this is a shot of the pommel knife. I'm surprised people dont put a small knife in more big handles. I've had more fun with this one.

olderBumps017.jpg

Last edited:
Bruce, I couln't believe it when you first pulled that outta the handle. I've told so many people about that knife.
That one is just the definition of cool. It was really a treat to get to work on the sheath for that one.
I don't know if I told you but that is horse rawhide in that chevron on the front.
Robin

Horse rawhide? Where do you buy horse rawhide? I bet you made it yourself. I want mountain lion rawhide on the next one. hehe
Bruce, I couln't believe it when you first pulled that outta the handle. I've told so many people about that knife.
That one is just the definition of cool. It was really a treat to get to work on the sheath for that one.
I don't know if I told you but that is horse rawhide in that chevron on the front.
Robin

Hummmm, lion rawhide-- now you got me thinking. With a little cat hide a guy could maybe land on his feet every time. :^)

I guess I should have saved a training hide this winter. :^) It might be real nice rawhide.

I do have a patch of lion skin (hair on) for the shelf of my bow. I need all the MoJo I can get.

looking forward to seeing what you do with those bones. I've never tried one of those rawhide sheaths, better get to watching these guys that are pro's at it.

Very nice, do you do the brade work as well?

Oh yes Robin does beautiful braid work. I've been trying to prompt him to show off that set of braided reins he has in the pictures above. Come on Robin you're too modest. Lets see the whole bridle you big tease.

I just put those in for wallpaper, thought it might set the knife off.

Those split reins are my wife Cindys christmas gift. There's a strand of 4mm climbing rope in them for a strong core. They have 8 strands of kangaroo lace over that and then 17 buttons on each side. I still have to braid the rawhide loops that connect them to the bit. Then Cindy will let me know if I have to add ring knots to bring the balance to perfect. I'm hoping to have them ready for the first cutting she takes her colts to. I'll try to get a picture when the ponys packing them.
They have a little time in them.

Bruce, I'll look thru my pictures and find something I braided. Not teasing, they just ain't finished :^)

I just put those in for wallpaper, thought it might set the knife off.

Those split reins are my wife Cindys christmas gift. There's a strand of 4mm climbing rope in them for a strong core. They have 8 strands of kangaroo lace over that and then 17 buttons on each side. I still have to braid the rawhide loops that connect them to the bit. Then Cindy will let me know if I have to add ring knots to bring the balance to perfect. I'm hoping to have them ready for the first cutting she takes her colts to. I'll try to get a picture when the ponys packing them.
They have a little time in them.
Bruce, I'll look thru my pictures and find something I braided. Not teasing, they just ain't finished :^)

They have a little time in them? See thats what I'm talking about being modest. How long do they really have in them? Didnt you tell me you worked on em for 2 years? Cant wait to see the finished pictures. It wouldnt hurt to have the horse in the picture too.

Caught again. Yeah I've been working on them for a couple years. Of course not all the time, a knot here and there as I had time. I never keep track of time when it comes to braiding. A guy might quit if he realized he was making 10 cents a hour :^)

Back