Horses anyone?

Vombrown

Banned
This is my new Montana Travler filly. As of yet she doesn't have a name. She's standard black but I'm thinking of calling her "Jet". It's been a few years for me, I haven't had a horse in some time but I guess it's time. If you're unfamiliar with the Montana Travler breed don't feel bad, it's a Montana thing. Horses born and bred in the mountains of Montana.

Attachments

• Brian'sHorse30Oct18_1[149].jpg
    Brian'sHorse30Oct18_1[149].jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 18
I was not familiar with the Montana Travler breed - I find it's a gaited horse. I didn't even know anything about the "Rocky Mountain" gaited horse breed until a few yr back. We've always had Quarter horses, but a few yr back my nephew (brother's S-I-L) got involved and that was gaited horse. I've learned to enjoy gaited horses for trail riding now. You'll enjoy.

I was raised working and training quarter horse and quarter horse cross with hotblood for harness racing and barrels. These travler horses are a different kind of horse. Calm, cool and in your pocket. We actually bought two weanling fillies and my fiancé actually ended up choosing her filly because she wouldn't leave her alone. Just followed around the pasture and corral while she looked at other horses, bumping her in the back and wanting attention. Their claim to fame is the breeding that created a true Mountain Horse. These in particular are from the foundation stock of one of the few people to keep the breed standard and raise them in the Bridger range of Montana.

I have a saddle that I have been working on for myself for a few years. When work is slack I do a little bit on it then put it away. It's a very rare saddle made by a saddle tree maker that has since passed away. It was referred to as the "cowboy Cadillac" A nice high cantle, roping saddle with the comfort of a deep seat and medium swells. Making something that is specifically for me, I have a hard time deciding on tooling. Do I finish it strictly for myself or make so that I could eventually sell it if I wanted? I have a lot of very cool ideas for sure.... I'll finally finish it for Jet, which gives me around a year to get it done. I think I can make that happen.

Sounds like your living the dream out there Vombrown. :D
A good amount of the public lands that we have here in Montana are not accessible by motorized vehicle of any kind. While you can hike it, most people prefer the comfort of a saddle on a good lookin' mountain bred horse. The older I get and the worse my knees get the more I start thinking that if I want to get into some of these really remote hunting, hiking and fishing spots a horse is about my only alternative. Keep in mine when I say "remote"...in montana that means Days of riding. No 7-11 around the corner or KOA campgrounds...HA! Most times the trail heads for where I want to go is 40-50 miles from any civilization at all.

I use to ride and I loved it but like some others I had a bad experience and had to hang it up. I was riding alone, and having a great time I may add, the horse was compliant but it was one of those situations where you know he is hiding something so you just wait for it to show up. Then he made a sudden jerking move forward and I lost a stirrup then he lurched backwards and I fell with one foot hung in the other stirrup. I hit the ground and if the K-mart manager had not unplugged him he would have drug me for miles...

Sometimes you just have to cowboy up I guess....ride it out till she bucks you. Or the quarter runs out, whichever.

I have a saddle that I have been working on for myself for a few years. When work is slack I do a little bit on it then put it away. It's a very rare saddle made by a saddle tree maker that has since passed away. It was referred to as the "cowboy Cadillac" A nice high cantle, roping saddle with the comfort of a deep seat and medium swells. Making something that is specifically for me, I have a hard time deciding on tooling. Do I finish it strictly for myself or make so that I could eventually sell it if I wanted? I have a lot of very cool ideas for sure.... I'll finally finish it for Jet, which gives me around a year to get it done. I think I can make that happen.

Saddle pics please! (could be a WIP!)

She is a beauty!

Back