Hot cut chisel hardies

springer82

I would like to make a hot cut chisel. One that is in the area of 6 to 7" tall. I'm having a problem finding out what is a good steel to make it out of. You would think after all this time that would be a simple thing. I have found that some make it from H13. Really,,,, I can't go to the steel shop and walk out with a chunk of that. I saw 5160 and a few others. Has anyone here made there own tooling? Have you made a hot cut chisel. Out of what? How did it work? Thanks for your time!

Attachments

• 20181223_165828.jpg
    20181223_165828.jpg
    869.7 KB · Views: 6
Yup I make lots of tooling from old excavator bucket tooth retainer pins and old heavy equipment cutting edges,its usually 4140 .

I would also second 4140 for most of your forging tools. I wouldn't even bother heat treating it because the hot steel that you cut will draw the temper.

Doug

I will throw down a third for 4140. I found another route though. Just get you an old axe head or hatchet head and lock it in your vice. Perfect hot cut. There are always old axe heads around. If you wish to get all fancified weld you a piece of square tube to the back and use it in your hardy.

Back