How can I get a good flame striped finish on Ti?

Stang Bladeworks

KNIFE MAKER
I have a customer who really wants a flamed Ti handle. I tried using my propane torch but the results were poor. The flame is too large to get a pattern. It just heat anodized a large section. He specifically wants thin stripes kind of like a strider. Is there a specific fuel and torch combo that makes this easier? Any tips or tricks are greatly appreciated. Obviously replicating the stider look exactly isn't cool. Im just looking to find a decent compromise that keeps the customer happy. Also wondering about the best base finish to start with.
Thanks.

These put out a tiny pinpoint flame. I know nothing about flamed Ti handles....some hardware stores carry these and Amazon prolly does too...

Flame temp is 2500 degrees.

I'd try one of the pencil butane torches as pictured above, and/or try using a wet dish rag or something similar to keep the surrounding areas cool while making the stripes.

I doubt that's heat... Personally I think it's electro anodizing. I've seen similar done with the leads on say a personalizer where you soak a piece of paper in electrolyte and lay it on top of your work piece, then drag the lead across where you want the pattern. Makes similar thin lines but would need some testing to get it right. Would love to see how it works out if you figure it out!

Back