How long to keep a knife

Hi Chuck,

If the dealer bought the knife from you at a discount:

You can contact them and remind them that they need to maintain your retail price. Failure to do so will eliminate them from getting more knives from you at a discount. Or you can offer to make them something different in exchange for that knife.

However, if the dealer did not get the knife from you. If you feel it is detrimental to your business. You can buy it back....then resell the knife for full price and make some money for yourself.

Guess what it comes down to is how much of an effect do you think this knife being sold at below market will affect your business.

I have one of your folders on my consignment page (it is listed at what my client paid for it)...I just thought I would mention that as I didn't know if that was the knife you were talking about.

Most knives from most makers are overpriced for their position in the market.

Today you are dealing with a collector who is better informed about what knives should sell for (as they will spend hours going from website to website to fourms, etc.).

Couple that with a slower economy.

Collectors are no longer paying really high premiums for knives in the after market (with a couple of exceptions).

This goes back to my point about a maker knowing their position in the market and pricing their knives accordingly.

When I am at a show and a maker asks me what a knife should sell for. My comment to them is:

"If it was Sunday at 2PM and you had not sold a knife...what would you sell this for?"

Whatever that number is...price it that way on Friday or Saturday morning.

Your goal is to get knives into the hands of collectors (this doesn't mean give them away...but offer a value price).

Would you rather sell 5 knives at $50 less and pick up two orders for the weekend or sell 1 knife at full price?

Now if you have an established price...you stick to that...you do not lower it. As that will come back to haunt you.

Back