How many knives to take to a show?

I've done 2 knife shows and each time I had plans to take 7 to 10 knives. Both times I ended up with 5 on the table. I don't know if it's the right amount, but when I started pushing to get more than 5 I saw my quality detoriate. I decided/wanted my work to reflect the best quality I could do at that time, be it 1 or 20.

Follow on question: Do you always bring the same kinda knives to every show or do some shows get different kinda knives?

do you collectors expect to see different kinds of knives at different shows?

:)

I did throw in a few miniature knives - when I was making them.
Now I would just do slip joint knives, traditional patterns.

Todd

Knife shows are for:

1) Selling Knives

2) Meeting clients and potential clients

3) Taking orders

4) Restocking materials.

Since this is in the business section I'll assume that the makers interacting here are business oriented.

As such shows have expenses. Table, lodging, transportation, food, etc.

Your first goal should be to cover your expenses. Gross sales are not what you "made" at the show. Net is what you received after you paid your show expenses, materials and time.

Failure to cover your expenses...means the show was either a failure or a vacation. Your choice.

Everyone has show failures. It may be you only need to sell 5 knives to cover your shows expenses. However, if you need to sell 7-9....and you only bring 5....you have set yourself up for failure before you leave the house.

I am speaking now from a purely business perspective....the bottom line.

I realize the shows provide a lot fun and socializing. It can be difficult sometimes to remember you are....at work!

I was talking with Les George about the expenses associated with the New York Shows. $700 for a table, $300 a night (3 nights), plane ticket, food, cabs, etc. Roughly about $2,000 to do the show, give or take $200.

I used to see makers who would come to the show with $3,500 worth of knives on their tables. Sometimes they sold out...sometimes they didn't. But they would always talk about what a "Great" show they had.

My thought was, you lost money coming here...how was it a great show?

Two years later...they weren't at that "Great" show anymore.

Yes, there can be other "intangibles" meeting a collector who orders 5 knives, etc. However, that cannot be planned for or counted on.

Understanding what your expenses will be can give you a starting point 6 months out as to what you will need to bring to the show....and sell...to make the show profitable.

I realize that I do not have an artistic/creative bone in my body...so I tend to look at shows as a money making opportunity.

Remember the only reason anyone starts a business is to make a profit. They can tell you there are other reasons...even those who have a "non-profit" (remember this is a tax status....not a business entity) corporation.

However, the truth is "negative cash flow" leads to bankruptcy.

I take whatever I have on hand. If I'm getting ready for a show I spend a couple months building knives and take somewhere between 8-10. I have had as many as 15 at one time but they were all one of a kind folders.

I think that makers that hold knives under their tables are hurting themselves. The one knife they have under the table might be the one knife that someone is looking for. How's it going to get sold if no one can see it?

I know a maker who makes over 400 knives a year. His table usually has 30+ knives on it, you can't even see the tablecloth. In my opinion that is too many, when does he sleep?

There is a maker who likes to play another game. Say he's at a 3 day show. On Friday he will put all his knives out, lets say 5. If he has not sold anything by Sat morning he will only put out 4 knives, making it look like he sold one. He does the same thing all weekend. I have seen him do this at the last 2 shows we were set up at. It might have made it seem like his knives were in demand to but it did not.

I've just read this through as Les just put a link to it in another.

It's a very interesting discussion but it reminded me of this video clip on YouTube that I thought was quite pertinent to the discussion:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO6XEQIsCoM"]YouTube- Barry Schwartz: The paradox of choice[/ame]

Back