how many use a porch or outside area as part of knife shop?

Ed of all trades

I am in the process of adding on to my blacksmith shop to make it easier to get into knives. The problem is the inspector called this morning and said I can't add on to the side because of a string of reasons and I can only add on to the front. I can only come out 8' with the full width of 14' and I am thinking of putting a small porch on the front so I can set the gas forge or even the grinder out there in good weather. Good idea? What do you think? Ed

I have a 10' overhang/porch on the back of my hot shop..... I have a grinding table out there for using the angle grinder.....just too keep all that swarf from coating everything inside the shop.

Personally, I find that forging and grinding outside is a handicap....simply because the light level is never steady, making it tough to clearly see "colors" when forging. Same holds true for grinding, except its not about seeing the colors, but rather the reflections, which are what I use to "see" as I'm grinding. The more controlled you can keep conditions, especially lighting, the less you are having to constantly adapt to what your eyes are telling you.

Thanks Ed. I was thinking about just setting the forge outside the door but within reach of the door and doing my hammering inside. Hadn't thought about not being able to see as well when grinding. Ed

I use the back porch for my knifemaking area. Light and wind throw a challenge at times but is all I have atm so make it work.

Back when I started the whole shop was under the back porch. Last year I setup a new shop in a 10x20' shed. The difference is like night and day. No weather constraints, better lighting control. No worries about stuff rusting like before. Easier to keep everything clean, plus now all my stuff is better organized.

Rain season in South Florida was always very interesting...

https://youtu.be/Sg6kK3m9imc

side area

I replaced an old tin roof and cleaned it up well. It will hold all my welding equipment.

Attachments

• DSC01487.jpg
    DSC01487.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC01484.jpg
    DSC01484.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 21
Tactically sharp, Nice looking shop, I started to go that way but I am still hoping for a press, and if I can get it quiet enough a small air hammer. I have a 14' x 14' now and it is so full I have a path that has a branch over to my tool box. I am adding 8' to the front and was going to add 9' to the side but the inspector has problems with my design so I guess it will be 14' x 22'. The shop will have heat and AC so I can work year around. A dream come true. I know a lot of guys work in hot and cold shops but I am not that hard core. Ed

Back