How to grind this shape

opaul

I was looking at a few Loveless knives and this is his model #1 fighter. How would you accomplish the curved grind on the spine/swage? Is it done with files by hand or on the grinder?
7167293B-912F-42F3-925A-54755225A9C8.jpeg

two things .....thats a randall not a loveless....you can grind the swage either on a flat platen or on a wheel .....larger diameter wheel the better.......scribe your center line and grind the same as you would a recurve blade.....freehand grinding is the way i do them

two things .....thats a randall not a loveless....you can grind the swage either on a flat platen or on a wheel .....larger diameter wheel the better.......scribe your center line and grind the same as you would a recurve blade.....freehand grinding is the way i do them
Dang, How did I do that ;>} !, But thanks. I'll give it a go.

I usually do the swedge first and then bring the edge up to meet it at the tip.
I have started doing that as well. But to my eye this isn’t a straight swedge. It looks like the swedge at the tip is in one plane and the spine swedge was worked in - almost a circular shape moving into a straight plane.

I have started doing that as well. But to my eye this isn’t a straight swedge. It looks like the swedge at the tip is in one plane and the spine swedge was worked in - almost a circular shape moving into a straight plane.
I tend to do curved clips and use a convex platen for the whole operation. 18 inch radius for smaller knives and 36 inch radius for big ones. Get the curve of the clip right and then rotate the blade to grind the swedge lengthwise/ you coulds do the same on a flat platen if you wanted a straight clip.

Back