How to inlay shield on slip joint?

Justin Presson

Ok slip joint makers lets hear it. I want to make my dad a slipjoint soon, he has been supportive of my knifemaking and seems to donate tools every trip home. He has a hunting knife i made him but now he needs a pocket knife.

I want to make him a slip joint with a shield. I have googled it and found a couple old threads but all be dang if they werent all Photo bucket pics that no longer exist.

Here is the other thing I kind of want to use micarta and do a black g10 shield. Any info, tutorials or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Short of a CNC mill or pantograph, the only way I know is to hand cut the pocket. Its the only way I have to do it so that's the route I would take.

Short of a CNC mill or pantograph, the only way I know is to hand cut the pocket. Its the only way I have to do it so that's the route I would take.

Yes that is the only route I have too and my plan just not sure if you get one of those patterns glue it to the piece and route out the center and just epoxy it in and i guess if i did stainless I could pin it.

You could also get a template from USA knife makers to cut the pocket in the handle and use the stainless shield that comes with it for a template to scribe around on your g10 and then hand file it. I would suggest a simple shape like an oval or diamond and it should be pretty easy.

Back