Howdy from North Carolina

diverdale

Hi Folks,
New here. Just starting to get my "knife shop" put together. I've done woodworking for years and some random metal work here and there so I have a fairly stocked shop just nothing knife making specific. I'm starting out slow. Just got my first blank cut out using 1/8" 1080. I don't have a fancy grinder (yet) so I'm using a 4x36 sander. Made a bevel jig like Gough's. I built a paint can "forge" and use a bernzomatic to provide the flame. Anyhoo....you guys seem like a pretty active bunch and I look forward to sharing and learning.

Dale

Well
Hi Folks,
New here. Just starting to get my "knife shop" put together. I've done woodworking for years and some random metal work here and there so I have a fairly stocked shop just nothing knife making specific. I'm starting out slow. Just got my first blank cut out using 1/8" 1080. I don't have a fancy grinder (yet) so I'm using a 4x36 sander. Made a bevel jig like Gough's. I built a paint can "forge" and use a bernzomatic to provide the flame. Anyhoo....you guys seem like a pretty active bunch and I look forward to sharing and learning.

Dale
Well, diverdale, you obviously didn't get the memo...you aren't allowed to be on this site unless you have only the proper top of the line equipment. The total outlay for equipment must exceed $20000.00 , or your finished product cannot possibly be of any interest to anyone here. Thanks for your interest, but......
Just kidding!
Welcome to KD. And learn all you can. It seems that all levels of experience will assist you in any questions that you may have.
BJ

Thanks guys, here's a few pics of the progress so far. Not happy with the plunge line but I figured I'd concede that on this knife and go through the rest of the process to get to a finished product. Check out fancy forge :p.

IMG_1550.JPGIMG_1553_edit.jpgIMG_1554.JPG

Welcome to the forum, Dale. Many of us got our start on an old 4x36. You'll fit right in around here.

I'm in the same boat you are. I have only a 4 x 36 and a 1 x 30. I do feel I can only take my knifes so far but I am only a hobbiest anyway. The members here helped me a great deal. I don't think I will ever get a 2 x 72, but might jump up to a 2 x 42 with the 3/4 hp. Although I know that is frowned upon not to go all the way. You should make a Work in Progress thread on the main forum. I ruined 5 blades before my first finished knife.

due to the current layout of my shop ( no knife specific area ), I'm dependent on the weather so I can move stuff around. We've been nearly underwater here lately, so my knife is in a holding pattern at the moment. Once the weather breaks for more than a day or 2, I'll get back on it and get that WIP post going.

Back