Howdy from Texas

Greg Rice

Wow - even the new folks around here posting pics of their first knives are pretty awesome. I planned on showing you guys and gals a pic of my first attempt at a knife, but man - is there another forum available called KnifePups? 'Cause that is where I need to be - just sayin...

Made my first knife when I was 60 years old - 3 months ago...

I am currently working on a set of knives made from a batch of old old files. The files were my wife's Great and Great great grandfather's files. Unbeknownst to her or her dad and siblings, I am making them each some sort of blade from the files. I have no training - not even very adept at watching those u tube things so it is mainly trial and error. I anneal & heat treat them in my '4 brick forge' (I will post a pic of this) the idea from Wayne Goddard's book the $50 Knife Shop

You all are so very inspirational - mainly because of your humility and welcoming of newbies

For those wondering - the motor is a 1969 Ford 302 4 barrel motor (thick walled) - never been punched. Some day I'll stroke it and put it in something - but right now - it is my 'forge' (I have never tried to 'forge' anything though) and can you really be a true knifemaker without an anvil? :confused:

Greg aka ThePidler

4 brick forge.jpg

welcome to the pound! put that pony in a hotrod already!
I need to - it was originally planned to put in one of those AC Cobra kit cars I was building - but once I had a rolling chassis - a friend of mine bought it from me and we put a big block in it. It is scary to drive... Thanks for the welcome!!

Welcome. You started young... I waited til I was 70 ! STILL young enough to learn. And there's plenty of good , knowledgeable teachers here.

YES! The only thing that tells me I am as old as I am is that it takes forever to freaking heal. Just two weekends ago I painted our master bed/bath ceilings & all - my shoulders are still complaining - whimps... Thanks Bruce - if I remember correctly, you do your work without a grinder - is that correct?

YES! The only thing that tells me I am as old as I am is that it takes forever to freaking heal. Just two weekends ago I painted our master bed/bath ceilings & all - my shoulders are still complaining - whimps... Thanks Bruce - if I remember correctly, you do your work without a grinder - is that correct?
Yep , I surely do. AND I enjoy it! (Although some days the shoulder aches a bit !)

Yep , I surely do. AND I enjoy it! (Although some days the shoulder aches a bit !)
Is there a thread with some pics and info on what files you use? I know I have way more control with a file - but I suspect a good one is rule #1 - I have a bunch of really old hand me down Simons and Nicholsons - but I dunno if they are sharp or dull - I'd love to learn something from you sir

Is there a thread with some pics and info on what files you use? I know I have way more control with a file - but I suspect a good one is rule #1 - I have a bunch of really old hand me down Simons and Nicholsons - but I dunno if they are sharp or dull - I'd love to learn something from you sir
For a start , look at my KITH WIP 2019. Pm me if you are interested in more detail.
P.S. You can get files sharpening done by Boggs Tool. They're on the web.
happy to assist you in any way that I'm able.

Back