HT oven choices

Absinthe

SWMBO has agreed that we need a kiln/HT oven.

However neither of us knows what features to look for.

She would like to be able to fire some pottery. I would like to be able to HT some different metals.

Any suggestions on brands or models? Or at least what do I look for in controls?

I really like my Paragon. Got it from USA Knifemaker. I don’t recall what the model is, it’s an 18” one with the keypad. Had instructions inside to set it to fire pottery too. I haven’t tried pottery in it yet, but I do have some clay in my garage I was going to try this summer. Wait time to get one is a lot better than the evenheat ones. Took about three weeks I think.

Kinda depends on the pottery. A regular horizontal "knifemaker" oven would be about the unhandiest thing in the world for pottery I'd imagine. A vertical oven like a Jen Ken heat bath might be better.

You can use any knife oven for firing pottery. Do research on pyrometric cones. Temperature charts, etc. Should be possible, but remember the safety with pottery and glazes.

I really like my Paragon. Got it from USA Knifemaker. I don’t recall what the model is, it’s an 18” one with the keypad. Had instructions inside to set it to fire pottery too. I haven’t tried pottery in it yet, but I do have some clay in my garage I was going to try this summer. Wait time to get one is a lot better than the evenheat ones. Took about three weeks I think.
He's right about the wait time. My KO 22.5 was backordered for months. Double post - sorry.

For pottery I'd think the vertical JenJen ovens would be best. I don't have the JenJen but from looking at them at Blade I think that would be my choice if I didn't already have an oven.

Back