Hunting knife handle

Hey Everyone, I'm about to finish up my first two knives that is planned for heavy usage and it's going to be a hunting knife. Knowing (or hoping) that it will be used to cut open and gut a lot of deer, what are the preferred products for finishing or sealing the handle? Do you put anything on the blade to protect it? One is 52100 and the other is 8670 from Pops.

The only thing that I've used on the handles of the knives that I've finished so far is Tung Oil (1 knife) and Renaissance Wax (3 knives). How would either of these hold up for something like a hunting knife that's going to get a lot of blood and other stuff on it?

Thanks

Ooh man, you are going to get a lot of replies...I used to use a mix of linseed oil and melted beeswax on my handmade bows. That worked well for them, but not a lot of wear and blood involved. I have just been using a lot of Tru oil on my handles recently. I also use Lignum Vitae and blood wood on my kitchen handles as they are high in natural oils/resins and do not need too much care. (At least not so far :) )

In my opinion any finish that penetrates and hardens works but there are some that are better than others. I believe Tung Oil hardens after it penetrates so a few coats of that should work. The best if you are worried about blood on the handle would be either stabilized wood or non-porous synthetics like G-10 or Micarta. Horse stall mats are also a favorite of mine on hard working knives that will get wet/blooded. Others will chime in with more options though.

G10 SureTouch is great for handles that will get funky! Super grippy. I use pure Tung Oil for all of my handles, including hunting and fillet knives.

Thanks everyone. Probably going to do the tung oil on my current one since I already have it. Might try G-10 on the next one.

Back