I made this and thought I would share

Are the steps Harden, Normalize, Temper or Normalize, Harden, Temper or something completely different?

That chart is a little confusing because it has the heat treating steps out of order. The tempering temperatures could be more complete and I really question the accuracy of the tempering temperatures and the resulting HRc results for the 8670.

Doug

I figured someone would criticize the chart that is why I tried to avoid it but it is obvious you did not read my post you just decided to criticize. The chart was made for me, by me for my process. I always start on high RC numbers because I have to adjust down because my process does not strictly follow industry standards. As is the case for many here and all over. The numbers on 8670 came from either Larrin Thomas, Alpha Knife Supply or New Jersey Steel Barron. You can figure out which it was and call them for clarification. Those are the sources I used. Well I used some of KC’s info too but I know the 8670 did not come from him.
Chris

Here is the chart I used for my numbers.
I will say it somewhat contradicts what Larrin Thomas recommends and if I had to choose between the two I would choose Larrin’s info.

Last edited:
That chart is a little confusing because it has the heat treating steps out of order. The tempering temperatures could be more complete and I really question the accuracy of the tempering temperatures and the resulting HRc results for the 8670.

Doug
It took me a couple of reading of chart to decide what you might be talking about with the "out of order" - is the "out of order" that normalizing column should be before the hardening column? If so, you're right, but shouldn't be a real problem for anyone wishing to use the chart.

Chris, good chart - and Boss's comment about a quenching oil included is a good idea. I copied 'n pasted into a spreadsheet so it's easy to move columns around or add in an addition column. Thanks for posting.

Ken HK>

It took me a couple of reading of chart to decide what you might be talking about with the "out of order" - is the "out of order" that normalizing column should be before the hardening column? If so, you're right, but shouldn't be a real problem for anyone wishing to use the chart.

Chris, good chart - and Boss's comment about a quenching oil included is a good idea. I copied 'n pasted into a spreadsheet so it's easy to move columns around or add in an addition column. Thanks for posting.

Ken HK>
Good idea Ken. I did it in Word but I am limited on knowledge of excel. Excel would be better.

Here is a picture of a quick Excel version with the columns rearranged. I can't post the actual Xcel document, but I'll email it to anyone who wants it. That way you can add to it if you like...

Untitled.jpg

Here is a picture of a quick Excel version with the columns rearranged. I can't post the actual Xcel document, but I'll email it to anyone who wants it. That way you can add to it if you like...

View attachment 78862
That is really cool! I will try and get up the quench oil info Boss asked for and send it to you. Would you mind adding it to the spreadsheet?

Ooops, Chris already posted his image so I deleted my paste from spreadsheet since they were about the same.

Good job Chris, you're fast on the draw :)

If I may offer constructive criticism?

You might wish to note the actual chart that these numbers are what you used in your shop and where they came from.

There is admittedly some controversial data, if not outright inaccuracies that you may wish to note.

Otherwise, what happens is someone copies and pastes this somewhere else, out of context and eventually this will become indisputable gospel truth to some.

Just saying.

If I may offer constructive criticism?

You might wish to note the actual chart that these numbers are what you used in your shop and where they came from.

There is admittedly some controversial data, if not outright inaccuracies that you may wish to note.

Otherwise, what happens is someone copies and pastes this somewhere else, out of context and eventually this will become indisputable gospel truth to some.

Just saying.
All of the numbers in the chart came from one of the sources listed above. If you care to elaborate on what you find "inaccurate" or controversial, I will provide you the exact source and you can contact them.

All of the numbers in the chart came from one of the sources listed above. If you care to elaborate on what you find "inaccurate" or controversial, I will provide you the exact source and you can contact them.
Well.....some of the austenitizing temps seemed extremely high. I questioned some of the Rc numbers after tempering and there were some quench oil discrepancies that you mentioned as well as listing some steels needed fast oil when they might actually be better suited to medium oils.

But you took all the info down so I guess it doesn't really matter now.

The austenitizing temps vary from source to source. For example take 80CRV2, Alpha Knife Supply gives "1,545°-1,615° and hold for 5 minutes". NJSB for the same 80CRV2 gives "1,465 to 1480°F / 801°C 5-15 minutes". A good deal of difference there and both from well respected steel suppliers.

The austenitizing temps vary from source to source. For example take 80CRV2, Alpha Knife Supply gives "1,545°-1,615° and hold for 5 minutes". NJSB for the same 80CRV2 gives "1,465 to 1480°F / 801°C 5-15 minutes". A good deal of difference there and both from well respected steel suppliers.
It was further stated that the results contradicted Larrin Thomas, in which case Larrin was stated as the preferred source.....adding further confusion. But the OP wasn't written about Larrin's info. The original post was confusing and somewhat controversial/contradictory.

But it didn't have to be a "take my ball and go home" situation. It could have led to questions and discussion and possibly corrections.

And Dr Larrin Thomas says in his in his book, Knife Engineering: 1525F 10 minute austenitize for 80CRV2.

Back