I Need Some Dog Training!!??? Help

Kris Martinelli

I love and enjoy repairing and customizing knives. This knife I don't know what to do with. This knife below was in a house fire. It came to me rusted and burnt and the sheath is very burnt and rock solid. I am an ex-paramedic firefighter so I know the heat hit this thing and then it got drowned in water. Confirmed by Client. The person gave it to me and doesn't care what I do with it. He is sad, because it was hand made in Africa which he bought it there twenty years ago.

I first soaked it in Mineral Oil and wrapped the knife in an air tight bag for about three weeks. It came out unique as seen in picture. The questions..I need ideas..oh and the girl in the picture is my wife so don't make fun of her.LOL

1. Should I leave the knife the way it is, because it did survive a hot house in which the house was fried? Should I take and polish off all the rust and leave the handle and pommel which is fried. The handle is Ebony and is hard as a rock. Should I replace pommel and just polish the hole damn thing without sanding it. or I could put it back to better than original? PS the knife is not warped at all.

2. Can burnt rock hard leather be restored........should I soak it in mineral oil or saddle soap??? Or make a knew sheath. The Client want's me to do what I want! I am lost! Never had a fire burnt knife...

Knife-Burnt.jpgBurnt-Sheath-and-Knife.jpg

What would you do?? I am not a knife smith......I am just Carol Shelby with a mustang and I am lost with this one??? Help!

Thanks Dogs Have a Great Holiday,

Kris

I think I saw that model on the Price Is Right.

I'de leave both alone and inbed them in a block of modeling epoxy....there's an interesting story there or at least some memories.

Rudy

I'd say the leather is a total loss and needs to be replaced. The knife could be sanded down and restored to at least look kinda new. The bone may be charred too deep to get all the black out. From the looks of it, the steel got pretty hot so it's probably soft. If you are really determined, you disassemble the knife, heat treat the blade again and rebuild it. Lot's of work but a great chance to learn something that few others get.

Is the knife a user or a wall-hanger?

If it needs to keep a sharp edge I bet it would have to be torn apart and re-heat-treat the blade. Because I imagine the heat of a house-fire ruined the temper for sure.

If it's a wall-hanger, I think I would polish it up and try not to change too much. Probably can't get all the heat/smoke damage off it without changing the carving in the handle, for instance. Getting the snot beat out of it and surviving adds character, in my opinion.

As for the sheath, I dunno I'm not an experienced leather guy. Maybe several applications of neatsfoot oil or similar would condition it some and keep it from drying/cracking any further?

It really depends on the customer... how much they want to spend on your labor and what they want to do with the knife in future.

To be honest I think it looks pretty cool as it is and wouldn't do much more than clean it up if it was mine. Heck of story behind it, that's for certain!

IMO you'll never get the fire-smoke smell out of the leather,and after the heat,and consequent water damage,it's pretty much a write-off.
You might be able to clean it up some with saddle soap and restore some pliancy with neatsfoot oil/mink oil,etc.,but it'll always stink.
The ebony handle will be brittle after being fire-hardened,so be very careful with it.
I'd suggest cleaning it with steel wool and Renaissance Museum Wax or restoring compound.
...hm,speaking of museums...you could contact a museum and explain what you have,and get suggestions from them!
From the looks of it,I'm of the opinion that the knife is a tourist piece to begin with,and never was a truly functional weapon,
so balance the cost of restoration against what it's worth to the client...

I think I saw that model on the Price Is Right.

I'de leave both alone and inbed them in a block of modeling epoxy....there's an interesting story there or at least some memories.

Rudy

Rudy that was great, LOL PMP=Peed MY Pants I almost did , lol. Thanks that is the possible idea...thank you for your time!!!

Kris

IMO you'll never get the fire-smoke smell out of the leather,and after the heat,and consequent water damage,it's pretty much a write-off.
You might be able to clean it up some with saddle soap and restore some pliancy with neatsfoot oil/mink oil,etc.,but it'll always stink.
The ebony handle will be brittle after being fire-hardened,so be very careful with it.
I'd suggest cleaning it with steel wool and Renaissance Museum Wax or restoring compound.
...hm,speaking of museums...you could contact a museum and explain what you have,and get suggestions from them!
From the looks of it,I'm of the opinion that the knife is a tourist piece to begin with,and never was a truly functional weapon,
so balance the cost of restoration against what it's worth to the client...

Wow good info and platform to think from...........ya I have nothing to loose to try and bring the Leather back....Nothing at all. You speak from experience and I appreciate the input a lot. This is my first fire knife. LOL Ya, that smoke smell will be part of the knife and leather for ever!!!! You called that one. Thanks for your time Ironwolf and comments. Now I have to think and that's hard to do for me :) Thank you Take Care!!!

Kris

Is the knife a user or a wall-hanger?

If it needs to keep a sharp edge I bet it would have to be torn apart and re-heat-treat the blade. Because I imagine the heat of a house-fire ruined the temper for sure.

If it's a wall-hanger, I think I would polish it up and try not to change too much. Probably can't get all the heat/smoke damage off it without changing the carving in the handle, for instance. Getting the snot beat out of it and surviving adds character, in my opinion.

As for the sheath, I dunno I'm not an experienced leather guy. Maybe several applications of neatsfoot oil or similar would condition it some and keep it from drying/cracking any further?

It really depends on the customer... how much they want to spend on your labor and what they want to do with the knife in future.

To be honest I think it looks pretty cool as it is and wouldn't do much more than clean it up if it was mine. Heck of story behind it, that's for certain!

James thanks for the input......you guys are great! I really needed some input..........time on it? Price? Factors.......It really is a cool story....He has a lot of would carvings and realized I work with exotic woods. I might be busy, but like Ironwolf and all you agree the smoke smell is a factor! I remember after a fire and clean up our hair would smell for a least a week. And of course you roll around in your turnouts to make it look like you have experience and the smoke smell, LOL. Thankk you so much!!!

Kris

I'd say the leather is a total loss and needs to be replaced. The knife could be sanded down and restored to at least look kinda new. The bone may be charred too deep to get all the black out. From the looks of it, the steel got pretty hot so it's probably soft. If you are really determined, you disassemble the knife, heat treat the blade again and rebuild it. Lot's of work but a great chance to learn something that few others get.

Boss thank you for your time and input........I think you nailed it!!! It would be a great learning process!!! I never even looked at that idea and the client is willing for me to do what ever!!! He considers it a loss per say!!! Thank you for your time and experience!!! Sincerely Kris

Rudy that was great, LOL PMP=Peed MY Pants I almost did , lol. Thanks that is the possible idea...thank you for your time!!!

Kris

Back in the 80's I did a bartop with Enviro-Tech at my local watering hole , my kids called it my home. For a couple weeks before, the clients were asked for the usual business cards or any other nicknaks that could be imbeded. you get the idea, back then every town had a bar with a clear bartop at one time or another. Any way, I inbeded my Case Muskrat pocket knife in it. Hence the idea.

Rudy

Back in the 80's I did a bartop with Enviro-Tech at my local watering hole , my kids called it my home. For a couple weeks before, the clients were asked for the usual business cards or any other nicknaks that could be imbeded. you get the idea, back then every town had a bar with a clear bartop at one time or another. Any way, I inbeded my Case Muskrat pocket knife in it. Hence the idea.

Rudy

Rudy you should put the recipe up on the forum, because I can see it! That is just beyond my ability and knowledge. That would be a fun thing to learn. The 80's Man were we a part of that!!! That was a weird time period and pink is coming back. I will ask my wife to model in pink next time!!!!!

PS or you could email me the "How To" if you have time? kris-martinelliknives.com Thank Kris

Rudy you should put the recipe up on the forum, because I can see it! That is just beyond my ability and knowledge. That would be a fun thing to learn. The 80's Man were we a part of that!!! That was a weird time period and pink is coming back. I will ask my wife to model in pink next time!!!!!

PS or you could email me the "How To" if you have time? kris-martinelliknives.com Thank Kris

There's no big secret to it Kris, Enviro-tech was the premium clear epoxy of the time. A 2 part system just like West Marine epoxy. Pretty simple to use. You'de just have to build a mold and suspend the articles from thin wire or support them on thin pins to envelope them. After it sets up, a little sanding/ buffing and you're done. Check this out........http://cgi.ebay.com/EPOXY-RESIN-CRY...369?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item334de453b9 Read everything, there's lots of info. Large casting info is near the bottom of the page. There are other epoxies, these guys provide lots of info. If I could do it, anyone could.

The late 60's- early 70's were better.

Rudy

Last edited:
Back