Idea's for scrap steel!

opaul

This is my first attempt at this and after trying it I need to move the opener forward for more leverage. I plan on making a bunch of these and give them out for Christmas gifts. Any improvement ideas other than moving the opener forward? I know the holes aren't centered but I eyed them in for a quick prototype.

If you have any golfing buddies. Here is another idea for smaller pieces of scrap steel, wood, and antler.

DSC03513.jpg

Kevin - They are a ball repair tool used for fixing greens in golf. After you hit the green with a ball it leaves a dimple. You use the tool to fix that dimple.

opaul - In looking at your design, I would suggest that you move the opener portion forward as you suggest. I would also change the opener from a simple circle to a more pronounced claw on the hook end transitioning to a more subtle middle of the bottle cap flat spot. Also, make the opener end usable to open a can as opposed to a bottle. More of a duel purpose opener. women hate using their fingernails to open a can of soda/beer. Once you move the opener forward, you will have a nice open spot for a name, initials, or emblem. Perhaps your mark on one side and a user name/initials on the other. It will make the gift even more special to the recipient. Also, consider adjusting the connection area for attachment to a set of car keys instead of the cord. Just a thought, or two, or three, maybe four. You have a good idea...

opaul - In looking at your design, I would suggest that you move the opener portion forward as you suggest. I would also change the opener from a simple circle to a more pronounced claw on the hook end transitioning to a more subtle middle of the bottle cap flat spot. Also, make the opener end usable to open a can as opposed to a bottle. More of a duel purpose opener. women hate using their fingernails to open a can of soda/beer. Once you move the opener forward, you will have a nice open spot for a name, initials, or emblem. Perhaps your mark on one side and a user name/initials on the other. It will make the gift even more special to the recipient. Also, consider adjusting the connection area for attachment to a set of car keys instead of the cord. Just a thought, or two, or three, maybe four. You have a good idea...

Thanks Dennis, all excellent Ideas. I just cut out six with the scape 01 tool steel I had. I heat treated them and will temper them tonight. I'll post up a picture shortly.

Well, since you are making them for Christmas gifts, my address is below. It appears that with the new software we have lost the laughing dog ;)

BTW, there is no such thing as scrap steel to a blacksmith. You can take 3 bottle caps, flatten them, except for the ripples, cut some slots with tin snips, run a duplex nail thru the center and have roses.

Well, since you are making them for Christmas gifts, my address is below. It appears that with the new software we have lost the laughing dog ;)

BTW, there is no such thing as scrap steel to a blacksmith. You can take 3 bottle caps, flatten them, except for the ripples, cut some slots with tin snips, run a duplex nail thru the center and have roses.

I just heat treated and quenched the 01 tool steel and have them tempering in the oven. I'll send one your way when I finish them up - Merry Christmas :)

Thank you for the idea. I have been wanting to make my wife a rose for awhile. My forging skills are lacking in the artistic end of things.

Here is the 2Gen with a vinegar forced patina. I'm working on the 3Gen, and hopefully final today!

Ok here is the last iteration of the opener. I like this one the best and it works really well although it's to early to pop a top!

Back