In a bind with my grind!!

Mark Barone

I have only completed 2 little neck knives and realize my 1x30 is inadequate for doing bevels. I am early in the hobby and can't afford the 2x72 Grizzly or whatever the professionals use. I kind of like the Jet 2 x 42. I'm willing to spend 500 or less. Would the Jet give me decent bevels? Also it seems like the Jet might not need to be modified, but o could be wrong. Any other upgrade would you recommend.

Well if you were going too spend 500 for 25 more you can have a Grizzly.

Probably about 75 to 100 more with shipping unless your near a Grizzly outlet then free shipping. Also consider local newspapers and Craigslist. Where are you buying your belts for the 1x30?? It's def not the best machine for bevels but if you get some ceramic belts for the 1x30 you should be able to make those small neck knives. I made a couple with mine. Bought some belts on Ebay Super grit is another option too.

Last edited:
Stick with the 1x30 and finish the bevels/plunges with files until you can save enough to build a 2x72. Anything else is wasting money that should be going towards a 2x72. You can get by cheaping out on just about everything else except the grinder. Why? Because a 2x42 and 4x36 is going to piss you off just as bad as the 1x30- and you'll just be in the hole a couple hundred more dollars than you are now (after you buy belts for that half-ass grinder and spend six months modifying it.) Had you saved your money you'd be nearly there on the 2x72.

Buy once, cry once.

At the risk of sounding cruel and elitist (neither of which is true, by the way) I'm going to tell you what I told my friend who went down the crappy grinder rabbit hole.

*A good 2x72 is not a nice-to-have luxury. It is the price of admission if you are serious about making knives. Period. A decent grinder is where it all starts, and whatever you have to do to get one is what you need to do.

I understand your postion/trepidation 2x72s are expensive but to buy another grinder to buy another grinder is foolish! Save ur money and buy the 2x72 while your using the 1x30. I know of your physical problems from other posts.

I went down the "rabbit hole" with grinders when I first started out..... so I can tell you from experience. Save your money, bite the bullet, or whatever you have to do and buy yourself a "good" 2x72" machine. Otherwise it's going to go something like..... buy a "cheap" grinder, find that it simply won't do the job, then another that you feel is an "upgrade".....and so on. It took me 3 years to save the money for my first "good" 2x72" grinder......but by that time, I had spent enough money on "grinders to get me by" that I could have purchased 2 "good" 2x72 machines.

The money that you spend on the "cheap" grinders is money that is gone.... you're never gona get it back. Buying a good 2x72" machine means that you have something that you not only can use/get the job done, but if you ever decide to sell it, you will have resale value.

I totally agree with what John said....
*A good 2x72 is not a nice-to-have luxury. It is the price of admission if you are serious about making knives. Period.

IMG_1978.PNG Ok Like this above??? I was under the impression that a 2x72 grinder was in the thousands , but above members are mentioning in the 500-600 dollar range. I definitely cannot fabricate one myself. I appreciate the advice on staying away from cheap grinders. I have one already. Yes making the neck knife worked ok. I tried making a larger knife with a wider bevel and me and the grinder did not get along that day. I'll have to check 2x72 prices. Any tool sites recommended? My wife wants me to change my hobby and make pens . PENS! Pens don't cut very well.

Last edited:
I'd definitely go along with her idea of making pens......Damascus pens. This may be the perfect opportunity for you to acquire a grinder, forge, press, power hammer, surface grinder, metal lathe, etc. This way if you decided that you didn't like making pens anymore, you'd already have a great set-up to make knives. ;)

Sounds like a win, win deal to me!!!!!!!!!!

Check out EBay Oregon Blade Maker has a grinder for about $500.00 but you would need a motor and drive wheel. If you can source a motor inexpensively (?) You could probably get into one of theirs for under $1000.00

staying away from cheap grinders.

I don't know how to put it without it sounding condescending , but the grizzly is exactly that. I've had three of them, one brand new in the unopened box.....all given to me by people who thought they were doing me huge favors. I politely thanked them and later gave all of them away to rancher friends. One's that I knew would never try to make knives with them. To be completely fair, I have seen some decent knives ground on a Grizzly, but they have been few and far between. Trust me, if you buy something in that price range, you're only taking another step down the "grinder rabbit hole".

If you're going to make pens, you'll also need a lathe, or even two lathes if you make both wood and metal pens.

Some suggestions of names to look at for grinders.....

Bader
KMG
Burr King
Wuertz

There are of course others, in fact these days it seems everybody and their brother are offering 2x72" grinders...... but most of the "johnny come lately" grinders have serious issues that shows the lack of knowledge/experience on the sellers' part. I'll leave it alone now...... everybody has to make their own decisions, based on their own circumstances.

I'd definitely go along with her idea of making pens......Damascus pens. This may be the perfect opportunity for you to acquire a grinder, forge, press, power hammer, surface grinder, metal lathe, etc. This way if you decided that you didn't like making pens anymore, you'd already have a great set-up to make knives.

Sounds like a win, win deal to me!!!!!!!!!!

I like the way you think Matt

Ed is right I have one and it is hard runs wide open so you got too be careful.I finally think I got it down for the most part thought but I would never buy another.

add to the list saying "been there done that". google "2x72 belt grinder" and "2x72 belt grinder kit" and look at what is out there. save your pennies until you have about $1200. an assemble yourself kit with wheels and flat platen assembly will be in the $700 to $900 price range. if you shop well, a 1 or 1 1/2 hp motor and VFD will be another $300. read thru the posts here and you can see grinders makers are happy with and grinders they will give to the farmer down the road. if you ask a question about a specific brand name, there will probably be folks here that do or have owned one and can fill you in. if you choose a kit, find one that includes everything, frame, chassis, base, tensioner assembly, motor mount, wheels, flat platen assembly so all you have to add is motor. make sure it is set up for direct drive.

Last edited:
My first grinder was a Grizzly. It is now a dedicated buffer (it does a good job at that) and it didn't take long to figure out it wouldn't work for me. Grizzy's go one speed - fast. When you are grinding and get closer to finishing, you want to be able to slow things down so a twitch or slight movement doesn't wipe out an hour's work. I know a lot of guys use them and put out some nice work. I was never able get a knife finished on one with out a lot of extra time and stress. The Jet 2x42 will be a big step up from the 1x30 however and if that is the budget, that is what it is.

$64 HF 4 by 36 to hog off material, then finish with files and paper. Don’t get me wrong though, the second that my shop is done (actually about a week before) my KMG will be in the mail. I have to admit, however, that I would not trade my file/sandpaper experience for 20 KMG’s. I’m willing to bet that every person who has ever owned a pro grade grinder also has a set of files. It’s funny they don’t throw them away... hmm... I wonder why. Lol

Back