Info please

Paul D

I just retired and just starting out. I am able to buy the 2x72 and everything else I need. Question for everyone is "should I buy the 2 x 72" or start smaller. I have dabbled with it and enjoy the heck out of it. I have done leather in the past so that end doesn't concern me.
Thanks for your answers.
Paul

Thanks Daniel. My thoughts were - spend money and go for it, or start small and work up. Thanks for the insite.

I just retired and just starting out. I am able to buy the 2x72 and everything else I need. Question for everyone is "should I buy the 2 x 72" or start smaller. I have dabbled with it and enjoy the heck out of it. I have done leather in the past so that end doesn't concern me.
Thanks for your answers.
Paul

Check out this current thread on this very topic here:

https://knifedogs.com/threads/am-i-fooling-myself.48790/

Reality is that a 2x72 is the tool for the job. Smaller grinders are simply not big enough to get s consistent result and you’ll get frustrated with the results. 2x72 should realistically be the starting point.

Thank you. I will order the 2x72 with flat platen/10 wheel/small wheel set with 1.5 hp and VFD. all with Aluminum wheels.

Once again Thank you All

What they ^ said! But im still not giving up. In a few weeks I hope to post my 3rd knife made by a 1x30 and a Brillo pad.

Last edited:
You might want to look at getting the Build Moe's Belt Grinder at the DVDs page of www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com. Also look on the grinders page and watch the video . You will see some of the unique abilities of this grinder. You can save a lot of money and get a superior grinder.

Let me know if I can help you
Wayne

Hello Paul.

I am a newbee and learning/

If I were to start again , in hindsight I would go for 2x72.

A lot of newbees start with a 1x30 which appears to be a quick inexpensive way to learn, I did and do not knock although I now think and dream of the 2x72.

When you start out on any hobby you do not usually immediately for the top equipment.

I only do it as a hobby as in the UK knives a taboo/

Good luck ,ate

Back