Internet give aways?

dereklee12

I have been trying to get eyes on my work lately through facebook posts on different groups. I have been posting on KD page naturally and a few other knife buy sell trade stuff. I have noticed that its mainly production folders that are being purchased. I get a few likes randomly but every second or two a new post is up and it seems like 15 min and my work is old news without being able to really be seen. Does anyone have any good advice on how to get your name out there? I give out my card as often as I can and I have a website but it just seems that the only people who really appreciate handmade knives are the people that make them. I see giveaways more and more these days. Is that a good way to attract attention? It seems like a good way to attract attention that would rather win than buy and then never take a second look. If anyone has any experience with stuff like this I would love to hear what you have to say.

Derek Lee

Derek,
Bossdog does material giveaways to get new products into us knife makers hands and that seems to work to get the goods into us steel junkies hands.

I personally with my own business have had terrible results with discounts on sharpening & GAW's. They are there for the deal and I've hardly ever seen any of them ever again.

The Information Age keeps moving faster and like you have noticed, things are now yesterdays news in about 15 minutes. You almost need to spend the same amount of time marketing your knives as you do making them these days on the various social medias and your website.

I have built up a large local word of mouth following in my town and I am really fortunate in that regard.
My guesstamite is that only 1-2% of the population would even consider buying a custom knife. This group is expanding each year, but it's still a very small slice of the general population so we continue to need to catch that market share.

I did a few GAWs with a local chapter of Ducks unlimited and the events put my knives and myself in front of a great market for camp Hunter & Culinary knives. Talk with a local Fire Captain, hospital and the PD about charities you can donate a knife to and attend to build good will and rub elbows with others in your town that have some of that spendable income we are looking for.
I do have a website but am not a totally fluent in how to use all of the social medias so I really have little experience on that except my wife spent many hours on FB for our shop and I have never had one person come in for even one knife sharpening and say that they found me on facebook.

Hope some of this ramble helps.

Back