intro

hey guys and gals
my name is chuck , been watching and reading

man there is so much knife stuff out here in the web - it gets overwhelming
i am thinking i am wanting learn how to make knives
i have a bum hand/shoulder/back so forging is out of the question

i am looking at a couple grinders 2nd hand
carborundum industrial machine 2 wheeler, 3ph, 2hp, 6" contact wheel, 2x72
this is a bad ass grinder it just hums , comes with phase converter (easy to vfd later?) would need to make platen and tool/work rest, seller is asking $350

and
mystery machine "two" wheeler with a platen i haven't been able to get much info out of the guy, looks like a purpose built knife machine i have looked at hours of pics trying to identify with no luck . pretty unique tool / work rest . seller is asking $450

i am really drawn to the carbo because it is built to last a lifetime - generations even. three phase power should be easy to and cheap to vfd. would have a whole other side for future imaginings

i like the mystery machine because it is unique but conventional, comes with platen

or should i just keep saving

thanks for all the great content
i will keep reading and learning
-chuck

Attachments

• carbo grinder.jpg
    carbo grinder.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 40
  • tucson grinder.jpg
    tucson grinder.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 40
If you cannot afford both...(they are a great deal and you will use both...) Get the Tuscon. It is built like a clock and will be ready to start making knives without any fiddling...If other people are lookin' at that you should move on it immediately!

Oh...and WELCOME aboard!

Welcome aboard!

My only comment about the grinders is to make certain the Carbo grinder has enough room to the right of the contact wheel to draw a blank being ground without running your hand into the housing.

That Tucson machine looks like it's built like a tank and would last forever. I'd be giving that one a good looking over with cash in my pocket.

I'll agree with the others here on the Tucson. You can't build a grinder for less than that.
And welcome aboard!

74601238_1386943921487361_3960265124597465088_n.jpgThis is the grinder I made myself. The price is about 500 dollars, but it is good that they are not paid at once. Too bad you're very far away, otherwise I would have helped you make your own grinder. And the other is a stone washing machine, which I also made myself.124478758_367346024532601_1149962344280383992_n.jpg

Welcome aboard.

I'll take exception to all the "buy it now" comments on those grinders. The carbo unit with 3 ph motor could be ok. It uses the standard 2X72" belts and is basically a 2 wheel Grizzly design. You've ran on the phase converter to confirm the motor works. Go ahead and purchase a Chinese VFD for $75 https://www.ebay.com/itm/263200037164 and with the addition of a platen you're good to go. I'd stay with only one of the grinders for now because later you WILL want a regular 3 wheel 2X72 grinder.

I'm pretty much a DIY person also, so have fun.

edit: I forgot to add, you'll need to put a simple filter (https://knifedogs.com/threads/nema-1-vfd-filter.48879/) over the air inlets on the NEMA 1 VFD enclosure to reduce metal filings from getting inside. I usually get well over 5 yrs on my NEMA 1 VFD drives.

Ken H>

thanks guys for all the useful content
i am leaning toward the carbo unit - i have seen it run - i think most of the attraction is that it is a big burly industrial machine probably made in that last little bit of time the us was building heirloom machinery.

the tucson mystery unit is appealing but looks user built and parts repair may be challenging

one difference in these two
carbo = drive wheel is work wheel
mystery mach = has drive on the other end

does this make a difference?

because later you WILL want a regular 3 wheel 2X72 grinder.
it doesn't look like it would be that hard to add an idler wheel to mystery machine.

but i am guessing you are referring to accessories like changeable tool rests , big/little wheels , etc

hey guys
still working on setting up shop
i did work out a deal for a burr king 482 grinder
i'll be bringing it home in 2 weeks
anyone else use one of these?

Back