Ipe wood

Casey Brown

Anyone ever tried using Ipe for handle scales. Have a friend who gave me a piece. Not sure if I want to use it or not. It's super dense, and might really be a pain to shape. Opinions?

I have never used it, but was gifted about 10 board foot of it. It sat out side for a year before they used it to make a deck. After sitting in the shop for 8 or so months over half of it is cracked, and weather checked. I'm not sure if this is typical of the wood but I don't want to risk having a knife come back.

I’ve used it when I built my sailboat. It was not a fun wood to work with. As Ty indicated I would be hesitant myself to use it as knife scales.
But others may have a different opinion.
I remember the sawdust and sanding dust didn’t agree with me.

Ipe is a suitable woid for scales if its dry. Its dense and oily and hard. No stabilization required.

Use caution.....many people, myself included, have reactions of various degrees to the oil and dust.

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably hold this one in reserve. I have a lot of other wood to work with that would be better!

Use caution.....many people, myself included, have reactions of various degrees to the oil and dust.
Two words...sinus infection. Been there and done that during my longbow making days. Cocobolo will do the same thing and polyurethane will not dry on it...trust me.

Back