Is there a scandinavian knifemaker forum?

Here is one in Swedish that chrome will translate for you. I speak Swedish as a 2nd language, so I have a little advantage. Sometimes the translations are very literal and not perfect..

And to add, I'm not sure about the rest of the Scandinavian countries but I know for a fact that they get 8 years of English in school. So you shouldn't have any issues with getting an answer in English. One of the hardest things about me trying to learn Swedish when I lived there was that as soon as someone noticed I was American they instantly wanted to speak English to me. I guess I understand, learning something for years and finally getting a chance to use it.

There is a Scandinavian knife supply site based in Michigan that I have ordered blades from: http://www.thompsonsknives.com/
They (he, really) have a gallery, but not really a forum. Maybe the admins here can start a new category?
Here's a first contribution... an old Swedish Rapala fillet knife that needed a new handle so I putzed around with new materials. Antler from a thrift store, walnut and a piece of Corian sample from Home Depot!
IMG_6667-2.JPG

There is a Scandinavian knife supply site based in Michigan that I have ordered blades from: http://www.thompsonsknives.com/
They (he, really) have a gallery, but not really a forum. Maybe the admins here can start a new category?
Here's a first contribution... an old Swedish Rapala fillet knife that needed a new handle so I putzed around with new materials. Antler from a thrift store, walnut and a piece of Corian sample from Home Depot!

There's a 45 min documentary out there (maybe "How Things are Made" (?)) on those Martini knives. It showed the process and I remember distinctly watching the movements of the robotic arm that ground those blades. I watched it just around the time I got a grinder. It's fun to watch if you haven't seen it.

That documentary got me checking the hardness on their birch handles compared to what I have in my neighborhood. I heard somewhere else online that birch in Scandinavia was harder but I did a fingernail imprint test and seemed close to me if not the same.

Thanks for the reference and beautiful handle on that knife.

I really like Pukko’s. I’ve seen some very beauty ones. The diamond shape in the bolster for the tang has always fascinated me. Anyone here able to accomplish that!?

Back