Is this a hamon?

A.Sharpe

This is a work in progress. 10" Bowie/Fighter in 1095. I think she may have been a little hot at quench. The scale blew off and left a deep pattern. I kinda liked it and just sanded to 800. This blade has not been etched.
So is this really a hamon?
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• h1.jpg
    h1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 133
  • h2.jpg
    h2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 129
  • h3.jpg
    h3.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 139
Is the edge hard? Is the spine soft? If so, Then yes-yes it is. Nice work. I think it looks pretty cool never seen anything like it before.

Thanks Murph, I have had hamons blow scale before but just in spots so I sanded smooth and etched to bring out the line. Never had one blow both sides evenly. Might be my new EDC. Yes edge hardened and spine is soft.

Mr. Sharpe,

Most of what you see at this point is an artifact of the quench.
There is a hamon there, I can see it in the pictures. When I get one that looks like that
at that stage of sanding it usually turns out to be a good one.
Sand out all of the ridges left at the out line of the clay, take it to at least 800 grit(I would go to 2000) etch in ferric or hot vinegar, polish with flitz then oil and rotten stone on a piece of leather. I bet it will light up like a neon sign.

Greg

Your hamon is the fuzzy line about the "bubbles" - the drops are a product of decarb from the clay and heat. Looks good! :)

Back