Is this wide enough??

C Craft

I want to attempt a Moran style handle, similar to this one! 1538446988392.png

I found a block of Ironwood that is 6.85 X 3.36 X 1.52
So the length at 6.85, sounds good, the width at 3.36 should be enough to get the kick down in the rear of the handle and 1.52 on thickness should be good as well!

So the question is this.

How big a block of wood does it take to get this style of handle out of???

Could I go with less??? The larger the piece the larger the money!! :rolleyes::p

Should have added that there are a lot of variables to how big a block should be to accommodate a specific handle shape. Blade length and height for example.

Also, the angle you cut on the block where it meets your guard/spacers and your ricasso height are key influencers to how much drop your handle has and how big your block will need to be.

Thanks for the insight John! I am nervous about this one I guess. Ironwood is rather expensive as wood handle materials go, and the biggest thing I have never done this before. I think I am going to have to do one out of some practices wood before I go for the Ironwood handle. Maybe that will help with some confidence on doing a Moran style drop handle!! :p

Just rip the band-aid off and go for it. Naw, just kidding I would make one from pine before I would risk an ironwood block like that. Good luck. When you feel up to the real one post some pics I always like learning more handle construction stuff.

Back