it isFound the Billet

wmhammond

My last post was that I needed a San Mai billet for a custom knife. I got on Gregg Dions web site and found what he calls a Double Dammi copper billet. Turns out it is stainless steel damascus on the outter layer with a nickle/copper/nickle sandwich inder it, then another layer os SS damascus and a 1095 center core at 5/32 inch thick. Billet cost $275 and I got two knives out of it. It was a great billet with the 1095 exactly in the middle of it. I ground it into a custom hunter for a client and then put on a rather radical matching handle made of wood, epoxy and aluminum waffle that I bought from a guy called "Big Mikie" on ebay. The thing went together like it was meant to be and I had a woodie (which for a 75 year old guy is pretty good) the whole time I was making it. Here it is.

Attachments

• IMG_1647.JPG
    IMG_1647.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 54
My last post was that I needed a San Mai billet for a custom knife. I got on Gregg Dions web site and found what he calls a Double Dammi copper billet. Turns out it is stainless steel damascus on the outter layer with a nickle/copper/nickle sandwich inder it, then another layer os SS damascus and a 1095 center core at 5/32 inch thick. Billet cost $275 and I got two knives out of it. It was a great billet with the 1095 exactly in the middle of it. I ground it into a custom hunter for a client and then put on a rather radical matching handle made of wood, epoxy and aluminum waffle that I bought from a guy called "Big Mikie" on ebay. The thing went together like it was meant to be and I had a woodie (which for a 75 year old guy is pretty good) the whole time I was making it. Here it is.
Nice! Is that forged or stock removal?

Gregg Dion forged the billet and once I got it I heated it up and beat on it a little bit to get some action in the copper but it is primarily stock removal.

Gregg Dion forged the billet and once I got it I heated it up and beat on it a little bit to get some action in the copper but it is primarily stock removal.
Thanks. I've been thinking about trying a piece of stainless san mai and wanted to know if that technique would work before dropping the money on it.

Back