It took a while, but here's #3

DBAR

Well, it took a while, but #3 is finally done. It takes me a while to make a knife, but when I make mistakes, it takes even longer. I've got to be the slowest knife maker there is.

I had started this one out with a handle design that was probably too advanced for me. I had glued up a pair of 3 section handle scales, only to abandon them after getting ready to shape them. I had made a mistake on the glue up of the scales, and ended up with an epoxy line between a spacer, and the center piece (Desert Ironwood Burl). I looked like a second spacer, and I tried to convince myself that it'd be fine, but in the end, I made a very nice 2 section handle.

This one has a Desert Ironwood Burl bolster with Orange G10 liners, Natural Linen Micarta spacers, and Black Linen micarta. I used 3/16 O1 tool steel again, and finished the flats at 600 grit. I ground a convex bevel, and finished it with a 600 Gator belt. I ended up using corby bolts on this one, and I have to say, they are nice to work with. This one measure 7" OAL, with a 3" blade.

e625cbd7-9f71-4c07-8e97-e931b4e69ffa_zpsgmffn79f.jpg
IMG_0486_zpsoxsvkvv4.jpg
IMG_0483_zps2rxjk86e.jpg
IMG_0481.jpg
IMG_0479.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Don

I like it, nice design and finish. I'm curious about the front Corby placement though, seems kind of far back from the front to me. Something about the spacing of the three that is throwing off my eye. I don't know, maybe it's fine, just thinking out loud.

That's Interesting Anthony. Interesting to hear a different point of view. I never gave it another thought, after the initial drawings even. It may be a little funky, the initial plan was to have a 3 section scale design, but that's where the spacers where initially on that one as well. I actually placed the pin where it is based on the symmetry of the second pin in relation to the spacers. I only eye balled it, so I'm sure it's not perfect. I thought about 2 smaller pins in the front of the bolster, but by the time I had thought of that, I had already heat treated and tempered the blade. There has been lots learned on this experience.

Don

Last edited:
Great 3rd knife! The profile looks very user friendly, I'm not a bolster guy but that's personal preference but looks well executed with the liners.

Don, I'm always hesitant to bring up anything that could be taken as a negative. I don't mean it to sound negative, just my take on it. You could have 100 people look at it, and 99 of them would say it's perfect. I may be the only one that raises an eyebrow. I always struggle with symmetry, or the lack of, in designs. Things that aren't spaced equally or balanced really stick out to me, and not just in knives. Obsessive compulsive? Maybe.

Another thing that concerns me on my own knives is how well the scales are going to stay in place over time. I know ironwood is a stable wood, but the pin being back from the front edge would worry me. That little piece of ironwood is kind of being held on by just one end. When you clamp something down on one end, the other end has a natural tendency to lift. I'd be paranoid that scale may lift or separate at the front over time.

Anyway, I like the knife and again, was hesitant to even bring anything up about it. I really hope everyone would share their honest opinions, good or bad, about anything I post on here too. And for what it's worth, you've just finished #3 and I think you're already better at this than me, and I'm working on #13 and #14 right now.

I understand what your saying Anthony. I've had concerns about scales staying stuck to the tang myself, but you have to also remember there are some guys who will make knives with not bolts at all, hidden or not, they just use the epoxy to hold the scales on. I already have plans to make some handle scale designs with hidden pins. The pins are more for combating shearing stresses, not so much for keeping scales stuck on. This is another reason why I like the Corby bolts, they not only keep the scales on, they also protect against the shearing stresses.

Don

EDIT:

Another thing Anthony, if I put another pin in the bolster, all that pretty Ironwood wouldn't get to shine....

Last edited:
Here's another interesting thing I did with the design. I left the heel of the tang just a bit proud of the scales, ever so subtly. I thought it would be a built in hard point, so if I ever used the butt of the knife to crack anything, the scales wouldn't be getting hit on so much.

It might be tough to see what I'm talking about in this picture.

75324439-9e47-43cc-a318-348df78eabaf_zpsgtkkgr3u.jpg

Thanks,

Don

Back