It's been a long time.

ACLakey

I used to make knives with my uncle twenty plus years ago and recently got interested in it again. I am looking to purchase a grinder next month and some other tools. A buddy gave me an old forge he used doing his farrier work. In the meantime, I purchased a few blanks and scales and went to work. I forgot how much I enjoyed making knifes! I am fortunate there is a custom woods supplier in town with exotics from around the world, wood options are plenty. I've enjoyed reading and learning from this forum, it's a great resource!

Here are a few weekend projects with blanks purchased online, I can't wait to start grinding my own again.

0213161726a_zpsys7e1dfn.jpg

0213161729a_zpsan7ia6cx.jpg

0214161130a2_zpsntvth8cn.jpg

0214161131b2_zpsw1ndtz92.jpg

I did a little grinding tonight for the first time in ages... Not horrible. The handle came out a little thin but I have some thick scales to throw on it.

0225162011a2_resized_zpsfrnsoirl.jpg

02251620142_resized_zpsrltc4uyl.jpg

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

It's been a lot of fun messing around with these blanks. I received a Craftsman 2x42 as a gift so I will be grinding a few blades soon(I'll upgrade it this summer :) ) This one turned out pretty good, I am lessening my mistakes and doing a better finish job on every one.

Drop point hunter, acid washed, walnut scales, white liners, brass tubing for pins.

02271618492_resized_zpsrf5cpr0r.jpg

0227161849c2_resized_zpsyudlmylz.jpg

I like how the wood grain lined up and flows through the handle.

I really like how you lined up the grain in the scales"through" the tang.
While I understand the concept of bookmatching, I personally much prefer the way you did these scales.

I really like how you lined up the grain in the scales"through" the tang.
While I understand the concept of bookmatching, I personally much prefer the way you did these scales.

Thank you!

I'm not the best leather smith in the world but it will hold a knife. I went searching for my Dad's old leather working tools but came up empty....more to learn.

02281616572_resized_zpsmj2csuae.jpg

0228161658a2_resized_zpsw4zbayu5.jpg

0228161658c2_resized_zpsjieot8fu.jpg

Wow those are awesome. I have just bare minimum leather tools but with a bit of practice you make each sheath better than the last.
I use a kydex insert since the leather I get is double tanned already so wet forming is out. It also prevents the blade from cutting through the sheath.

Np.
The kydex is also my retention for the knife. It is ideal for a working knife not a show piece though.

Make the kydex fold over sheath any where between 1/8"-1/4" over the width of the blade then, make the sheath just large enough to slip the kydex in the the leather

7dedffef1f420b6ebe8678c9c6f30a76.jpg

Test fit it and if it's not snug enough to keep it in the leather super glue works awesome to keep the kydex in the leather just lightly clamp it in a vise till the glue dries.

No problem. I didn't mention that it is supposed to slide in side the sheath about .25" to hide the kydex. Lol

That thing turned out absolutely gorgeous man! I Actually bought the same blank for my first project and plan on putting some burl handles with a ghost jade liner and brass pins, hope I'm not getting in over my head! Beautiful knives though man

Last edited:
Back