Japanese sen questions

James Terrio

I'm thinking of making a sen for getting my flats nice and flat. Not so much for major stock removal, just to get things smooth after grinding and/or draw-filing before HT.

I found a couple links with some info but still have some questions.
Don Fogg tutorial
sword forum thread
cross section pic

Anyone have more info on recommended bevel angles and so forth? I'm thinking of making it out of 1/4" CPM-3V for stiffness and edge-retention. Does that make sense? (ho ho)

CPM-3V would make a killer sen , I have a few of them made from broken sword blades . Basically it s a draw knife used pretty much the same way . Just make sure the blade you are using it on is well annealed . Some folks get fancy and do a Japanese wrap on the handles on each end. here is an exagerated view of cross section of sen

Last edited:
Thanks bubba-san, I was hoping you'd chime in. I found that pic too, it helped me understand the idea much better. I'm curious about sharpening once it starts to get dull... would you put a micro-bevel on it like a wood chisel, hone the whole bevel face or reface the hollow back? If I get this right, the sen is made symmetrical so you can use it on the draw and pull stroke, yes?

Last edited:
They are kind of sharpened like a straight razor only with a micro bevel , lay the inner flat surface flat on stone or whatever you use , sharpen back and forth like hollow ground chisel. The Sen will work on push or pull . It seems Like I have more control on pull stroke ! I also use a mikagi rod to burnish out any scratches .http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=14600 . You can buy one or make one yourself from good hard steel about 1/4 "or so round .The Sen moves a lot more material than seems possible but, they definately work , helps keep those lines straight and flat .

Back