Jason Volkert Kith 2019

Jason Volkert

I guess I better get going on this. I been drawing this up for the last couple knights. Still not sure about the handle shape but I like the blade and the gaurd so far.
20191009_210200.jpg

Disclaimer: This is not a how too. I have know clue to what I am doing. I am a 100% internet/self taught. This is just the way I do it. So if anything seems dumb, stupid, or crazy it probably is.

I guess I better get going on this. I been drawing this up for the last couple knights. Still not sure about the handle shape but I like the blade and the gaurd so far.
View attachment 70426

Disclaimer: This is not a how too. I have know clue to what I am doing. I am a 100% internet/self taught. This is just the way I do it. So if anything seems dumb, stupid, or crazy it probably is.
You and I are going to the same school! Pretty cool , huh?

Alright..... So after laying in my bed and contemplating Bowie designs. Like I do every night #Wacko.
I drew something else up that I like better.

20191011_092431_resize_36.jpg

I was at a American Bladesmith Society Hammer-in like 2 months ago and @Kevin R. Cashen did a seminar on knife design, I have implemented some of the design elements he was talking about into this design.

After looking at this pic on the computer screen I think I'm going to shorten the lugs on the guard a little bit.
Anyway let me know which 1

Way to challenge yourself , go for it...I have a hard enough time getting straight shoulders on a tang to fit a guard much less angled ones.

I wanted to take a second and talk about how I design a Bowie/Fighter. First of all I use big draft/grid paper and all types of stencils and French curves. I also make sure I have sharp pencil and a high quality eraser.
O and a ruler.
drawing tools.jpg

So when I go to draw the knife I start at the ricasso.
ricasso.jpg

I like my ricasso on a fighters at 1" high.But all my ricasso's are always between .750" (smallest) to 1.250" (largest) whether its on a small hunter to a large Bowie short sword.
ricasso hieght.jpg

Next is the Guard, for the type of Guard that I'm doing on this Bowie I like it to be either 3/8" thick or the length of the ricasso(kind of like a mirror image) But I never do less then 3/8" I think it looks funny for this type of guard.

gaurd width.jpg

Next is the "flow" of the knife. To ME! if the knife doesn't have "FLOW" its no good. If I mess the "flow" up when making the knife it goes in the Garbage and I start over.
What I mean by "flow" is where the ricasso "FLOWS" threw the Guard right into the handle. Now this is for any type of guard on any type of Bowie. The "flow" can make or break a knife to me. I don't care if it has the craziest Damascus or Hamon if it doesn't Have "FLOW!" its garbage TO ME.
ricasso flow.jpg

The reason for all this talk is because there is the most going on at the ricasso area. You got the ricasso, the guard, the choil, and the plunge cuts all in that little area. And when I look at knife that's the first place my eyes go to.

Jerry Fisk always says that the knife should flow even without the guard in place. I try super hard to make that happen. Sometimes I win sometimes I loose.

Back