Junk Knives

Kevin Zito

KNIFE MAKER
A student brought me a straight razor that he purchased at a local knife show. He asked me if I could get it sharp. It was made by a Louisiana maker, and the fit and finish of the razor is pretty darn good. However, the blade is NOT HARD.... not even close. It is soft throughout the entire length... so it can’t be caused by overheating. This razor was never hard. The kid bought it for $100.
I looked up the maker and, of course, this guy is a “knife expert.” Is this common? I look at this as thievery. Also, I’m assuming it’s not okay to bash the “maker”, which is why I have not mentioned the name or shown a pic of the razor. But this guy is ripping people off... it’s a shame.

Its more of a case of buyer beware. I do not see any of man’s laws being broken there but it is surely a moral issue. I know my fit and finish is not the best but my blades will cut and hold an edge I make sure of that. Now you are faced with the decision of telling your friend or not though.

Unfortunately this situation is all too common these days. Now so, more than ever, it's "Buyer Beware" in the custom knife world. There is a whole generation of "FIF experts" out there, who have little or no clue of proper/necessary steps/procedures it takes to produce a quality knife. The problem is, they have created a whole generation of buyers who base knife values on outward appearance..... it's "shiny" so it must be a good knife. :rolleyes:
What boils my blood is that because these type of makers now are the majority, it has eroded the public's trust in all knifemakers, and cast doubt on any knifemaker's quality, as seen from someone who is not a given maker's long standing customer.
While "bashing the maker" is never good manners, something has to be done to expose the fraud this type of individual(s) is/are committing. It must have been a year of so ago that I made a post about a "knife company" who's catch statement on their website was "We us only high quality A36 hot rolled steel in our blades".

The best ones are the ones calling themselves knife makers at gunshows and when you look at their knives all they are is re-handled pakistan junk.

See this from a guy at local gunshows all the time. He calls himself a knifemaker because he take pakistan made knives and puts deer horn handles on them. He doesn't even take the time to remove the made in pakistan label off the back!

I've only sold a couple of my knives, the reason being I want to sell a quality blade! I'm on the other side of the fence "Is my knife good enough to sell??" Ive seen some of the JUNK people have bought and showed me, sad part is their so proud of them! One in particular was a Karambit, the handle was to long, had an extra finger groove in it! The grind on the knife was HORRIBLE, cutting edge was not even anywhere, finish was somewhere in the 80G with a good scuff from a Scotchbrite belt and 36G Mark's still on it! I wouldn't have given it away!! Gent that bought it was so proud of it and said to me "ONLY COST ME $150.00!!!". What do you say to the owner without sounding like a jerk?? If he bought that blade for 150 I should be able to get 500 for one of mine!! But I wont.

Thanks for the input guys! I’m definitely going to let the guy know that his razor is only for “looking at” lol. I guess my point is that I thought that if the steel isn’t hardened, then it’s not a knife. I agree though that buyers have to educate themselves before spending money.

Thanks for the input guys! I’m definitely going to let the guy know that his razor is only for “looking at” lol. I guess my point is that I thought that if the steel isn’t hardened, then it’s not a knife. I agree though that buyers have to educate themselves before spending money.
You are correct sir, if its not hardened then it is a knife shaped object. Just like a cast iron anvil is an ASO.

Ain't nothing to do but, be honest with the student! I had to be the bearer of bad news but, you got took, whether the maker of this straight razor intended it that way or he just don't really know better, any steel that won't harden, will not hold and edge!

Then explain to them the "why" and show them! Do a file test on an unhardened piece of steel and a hardened piece of steel. Warn them that if they do that to the straight razor, it will leave a mark!

Who knows by the time you finish taking the time to explain it all out you may make a sale!!

It must have been a year of so ago that I made a post about a "knife company" who's catch statement on their website was "We us only high quality A36 hot rolled steel in our blades".
I remember that, and I went to the guy's website where he sure seemed proud of his special "A36" metal.

I have a number of 'junk' knives given to me by well meaning relatives. I nod my thanks and stick 'em on the shelf. My daughter finally caught on and I explained the differences between the knives she had given me and a good knife. Then she went and bought me a very nice pocket knife.

Back