Just finished restoring this tusk

What is involved in "restoring" it?

First you let it dry for a year with hose clamps on it so it doesn't crack. Then you start to sand all the rotten stuff off while saving the dust. Next you hose it down with CA glue to seal it all up and stabilize it. Then you fill all the cracks with epoxy mixed with the ivory dust you saved. You add tints to the epoxy mixture so the colors match. you give it a final sanding all the way through the grits, and finish with paste wax. Takes about a year and a half. It's a piece of cake.

Mike, you want to see what the asking price can be? Check this link: https://gspawn.com/matched-set-of-alaskan-mammoth-tusks/

This is a more realistic tusk for sale:
https://www.fossilrealm.com/collect...roducts/huge-mammoth-tusk-from-siberia-8-feet

The prices you see on the internet are mostly unrealistic. What you are seeing are the posted prices, very seldom are they actually sold for that. Especially from Siberia (Russia) The "fishing" price much more than the actual price that it sells for in the end.

DSCF2091-XL.jpg
I sold this one for under 20 K

First you let it dry for a year with hose clamps on it so it doesn't crack. Then you start to sand all the rotten stuff off while saving the dust. Next you hose it down with CA glue to seal it all up and stabilize it. Then you fill all the cracks with epoxy mixed with the ivory dust you saved. You add tints to the epoxy mixture so the colors match. you give it a final sanding all the way through the grits, and finish with paste wax. Takes about a year and a half. It's a piece of cake.

Thank you sir! Very interesting.

Thanks for posting your work Mark - those tusks are VERY impressive. "IF" I won the lottery (big one) for sure I'd be in the market for one. To me, they're MUCH more impressive than elephant tusks.

Yes, I expected the posted price was just the "asking" (fishing price? I like that phrase) with actual sell price somewhat less. Still EXPENSIVE!!!

Ken H>

Awesome work Mark, I've always wondered if there's any other part that could be used for something, like teeth or rib bones?

I didn’t expect that. Beautiful. Is that a store? I would like to know a little bit about your store and work? What’s the Readers Digest version of restoring tusks.

I didn’t expect that. Beautiful. Is that a store? I would like to know a little bit about your store and work? What’s the Readers Digest version of restoring tusks.

Yes, that's my store. Read a little higher up for the Readers Digest version of restoring a tusk. Click on my website to learn a little about my store if you want to.

Very nice, Mark. I enjoy seeing your work. That mammoth will be happy to wear it.

My wife has a story growing up where her family was going on a trip to the lower 48. They brought a mammoth tooth along to show friends and family. Somewhere in Canada the tooth started to really stink up the bus. They threw it out on the side of the road somewhere. Too bad.

Back