karma...

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
A new customer took delivery last week of one of the sharpfingers I'm currently making. He was showing off his new knife to some guys at work and the local "expert" decided the sheath was crap...after some minutes of trashing the sheath...he decided the knife was "okay" and then rammed the knife into the sheath upside down...cut through the 9oz leather...laid his hand open...began a profanity laden diatribe as he was driven to the hospital for stitches....

Sigh....yes....I smirked a little after finding out his injury was not too serious...the gun and knife community seems to have so many loudmouths....just glad he was not hurt worse.

The guy that makes my sheath is a perfectionist...but this is a tricky knife to sheath and the sheath is a bit unorthodox...but it works well if used properly.

Attachments

• 245270173_687100992271452_2155005146661827940_n.jpg
    245270173_687100992271452_2155005146661827940_n.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 67
Mama Gump said, "Stupid is as stupid does." There's a lot of that going around, seems.

Glad you didn't get more of his stupid on your mind, Ted.

It's like watching a dog on a piece of hide pulling with all his might, not concerned about what happens when it gives...

So is my thinking when I see someone trying to cram a knife in a sheath hard enough to cut through it. Uh...ya realize ya hand wrapped around that, dontcha?

I've only made a sheath for one knife with anywhere that amount of sweep at the tip, but it is indeed a challenge. Mine ended up pretty tight and I had to do some stretching, but eventually it worked. Your sheath looks really nice.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but your story does make me wonder whether blood will ruin the appearance of a sheath if the leather has been treated properly and then maybe waxed when it was made.

I've only made a sheath for one knife with anywhere that amount of sweep at the tip, but it is indeed a challenge. Mine ended up pretty tight and I had to do some stretching, but eventually it worked. Your sheath looks really nice.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but your story does make me wonder whether blood will ruin the appearance of a sheath if the leather has been treated properly and then maybe waxed when it was made.
I make the knife...my friend makes my sheaths. He has his own finishing/oiling protocol that seem to last. I've seen some of my knives that have been sheathed by him a couple years after hard use and they look pretty good....don't know about blood though!

In fairness to the fellow that cut himself....the other day I was finishing up a knife..grabbed the sheath by the "horn" shape...thus hiding the curve and promptly started the knife upside down...caught myself....lol. and corrected....

I suspect that is exactly what the loud naysayer did....so my sheath maker and I discussed...and we are going to try a new design....this sheath does work very well...but I do not want to see injuries because of the unorthodox design...

Back