Kimmi/Walker 2021 KITH

Gene Kimmi

KNIFE MAKER
After some discussion, Kaleb and I decided to make what I call a vest Bowie for our KITH knives. Here is the design we decided on.

After hearing that Kaleb had a pretty good start on his knife, I figured I better get started. I traced the pattern onto my steel, .200” AEB-L.

Next, I cut out the profile.

Here I have cleaned up the profile, marked and drilled the pin holes.

Finally, I drill epoxy holes in the tang.

Up next is heat treating as soon as I get parts in for my kiln. Hopefully this week.

dan van

Very helpful to show step by step photo's to follow along with the build especially for guys just getting into knifemaking.
Dan

KWalker

Looking good! I will make an update post very soon. I am very excited to progress with this design! Best of luck with your knife!

Gene Kimmi

KNIFE MAKER
After tapering the tang, I finished grinding the blade to 600 grit, and ground the swedges in. Next was hand sanding. This is where I discovered a problem. I found lines in the steel that won’t sand or grind out. I’d guess them to be alloy banding, but I’m not sure that’s possible in AEB-L. Whatever it is, I’ll be starting over with a new blade.

MTBob

Gene - Thank you very much for taking time to show how you grind a tapered tang, that's very helpful! Here all this time I thought a surface grinder was needed. I'm going to give that technique a try.
If you're up to it, I'd love to see a video on how you drill your pins in the scales on a tapered tang.

Gene Kimmi

KNIFE MAKER
Gene - Thank you very much for taking time to show how you grind a tapered tang, that's very helpful! Here all this time I thought a surface grinder was needed. I'm going to give that technique a try.
If you're up to it, I'd love to see a video on how you drill your pins in the scales on a tapered tang.
I’m planning on doing just that. I’ll see if I can talk my daughter into doing the video work. As you can see, I’m not too good at it.

Colin

I love that design but I have to ask, and please forgive my ignorance, what purpose does tapering the tang serve?