kind of in a pinch

Why?
I use it, it works well and I don’t have much in the way of safety concerns.
Can you not find any?
I reckon you could use some Everclear, take a nip here and there while prepping...

I’ve used mineral spirits and lacquer thinner .... oh and acetone
Thanks Dale, but those aren't on hand at the moment and no stores.

Any others besides old fashioned soap and water?

I have Iso-Heet but I'm thinking it'll have some oils in it??

don’t use anything. I grind the tangs on a 60 grit belt and hit the scales on an 80 grit disc and glue them up. If fresh ground, there’s no contaminates to clean of

Why?
Can you not find any?
I reckon you could use some Everclear, take a nip here and there while prepping...
I'm gonna get out of here before I get into trouble.

I don’t use anything. I grind the tangs on a 60 grit belt and hit the scales on an 80 grit disc and glue them up. If fresh ground, there’s no contaminates to clean off.
I use rubbing alcohol myself...but maybe do what Gene does and if you have air in your shop give it a good blast of air?

I tried most alcohols, beer didn't work, high octane race alcohol from gas station is expensive and stinks, vodka is ok, whiskey meh, 90 proof everclear is awesome but expensive again. My choice is rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) at 90 %, cheap and works.

Why?
Can you not find any?
Well I got these glued up before Christmas day. Now I can enjoy the day tomorrow and just let these sit. Thanks for the help.

Also, I meant I could have gotten into trouble with alcohol substitute jokes, nothing personal towards you. I thought later it could have been taken wrong and wanted to clear it up before the page turns on tomorrow.

As a matter of fact I found some disinfectant wipes in the house that worked good for a easy clean-up. Basically the same thing. Man I was low, ordered rubbing alcohol yesterday and it wasn't in the box this morning. Also no planes out here until Monday. So needed a solution. I can't walk up to Walgreens and grab it for two bucks. Used soap and water, what I had, some of Gene's way, and these wipes for cleaning pins, clean up, and whatnot. They turned out pretty handy.

Take care all, and again Merry Christmas!

All good soundmind. It was only in fun.
I imagine that anything that wipes the fine debris/oil and leaves no residue will work.

Back