Kirinite MOP Dagger

Mark Behnke

Thanks to Tracy for the MOP Kirinite an Bruce Bump for his Frame handle WIP.

I've been working on this for 3 months a lot of firsts and more redos than you can count. The domed pins were a challenge about 60 or 70 washers to get 20 ok ones they could still be better. The file work and coining was a couple of weeks of practice and redo but feel fairly confident in doing it now. I could go on and on but take a look and let me know what you think, areas that need improvement in design and or execution, it's hard to be objective after being so close to this, Pm is welcome if you'd rather not post in the thread. Thanks

First frame handle, domed pins and coining.
14th knife

Blade- 1084 RC 61-62 6 1/2" x1 1/4"x 3/16"
Handle- MOP Kirinite 5"
Guard, spacer, pins and eschusen Nickle silver

MOP Dagger 2014 001.jpgMOP Dagger 2014 005.jpgMOP Dagger 2014 003.jpgMOP Dagger 2014 004.jpgMOP Dagger 2014 005.jpgMOP Dagger 2014 007.jpgMOP Dagger 2014 008.jpg

It looks pretty doggone good to me Mark, for your 14th knife especially. Everything looks well finished, even and symmetrical.

Only thing I can see that I would change is the handle material.

***THE FOLLOWING IS MY PERSONAL OPINION ONLY*** :) ;) Not saying I'm right (or wrong)

I think that handle material looks cheap and gimmicky. It looks like it wants to be Mother of Pearl but is SO bad at it and it knows it. :D

I think that knife done EXACTLY the same way but with blackwood scales would be a winner in anyone's book.

Mark, my opinion on the handle material does not reflect poorly on your workmanship. Quite the opposite really.......I'm pretty impressed.

I generally agree with John, with a few things to add. You've done a marvelous job, but real MOP would have been worth while if you're going to go to that much effort. I don't think the kirinite looks cheap or gimmicky, but that's a heck of a lot of work to use plastic. Blackwood would also have been killer, like John said. I don't care for the little crosshatching marks on the frame, but that's just opinion. What kills me though is that you went to the effort to make domed pins, an extremely well executed frame handle, coined spacers, that raised escutcheon thing, etc, but didn't hand polish the blade!

I pretty much love everything about this, and only mentioned these things because you asked. I have plans for something similar in the relatively near future, and this is downright inspiring.

I didn't even notice the blade. Agree with Travis about a nice hand sanded finish on the blade. That would be almost a must on a piece like that.

Mark, again, these things are meant to be positives.

Let me clarify a bit on my take on the handle material. I personally still feel like it's cheap and gimmicky but that's just me.

There is nothing wrong with the handle material necessarily.

I just don't feel it fits well on this piece. I realize that it sounds like this whole thing was a 'practice' run, if I may. You've attempted embellishments of a high degree and pulled them off wonderfully, it would seem. Had you used a different handle material and hand sanded the blade, you would have created a piece that turned the heads of the most serious and discerning collectors of high end knives. They, almost across the board, would hate the fake plastic pearl and it would be a deal breaker, even more so than not hand sanding the blade.

There is nothing wrong with this knife and please don't take offense. My opinion is worth what you paid for it. Just take it as encouragement and things to remember on the next one. I think you've got what it takes to sell high end knives.

Also, DO NOT take this as 'I know what it takes to sell high end knives to all collectors and I've got it all figured out'...........cause THAT sure ain't the truth. :)

I think that looks great, love the crossed lines, domed pins, coined spacers and overall fit and finish is great

John said it perfectly. I really like this knife and I think you did a superb job, but collectors and other folks with the desire to pay for knives like this would expect real mop and a hand finish. From what I can see these are the only things keeping this from being truly first rate. Your workmanship is there.

Brad and Bama, Thanks for your positive response it means a lot to me.

John and Travis, You have addressed most of my doubts the biggest and one I've been reluctant to try is hand sanding. It's a hollow grind so that would seem to be harder but doable a good one to learn on, as you said John this is practice. Thanks to your encouragement I'm going to do another frame handle (I'm hooked) with some ebony. Still not sure if I like the combination of the file work and pins together they seem to fight each other. There are lots of little fitment issues that don't show in the pictures, small but unacceptable, hopefully they'll be eliminated on the next one.

Thanks for taking the time to give you opinions this is how we get better.

looking at something objective is nearly impossible, at least for me.there will always be an confusing amount of my taste...I
Despite the fact it is plastic and it is Cinderella...somehow..., it is a very charming Piece of Art and things like this keeping our minds fresh and vivid!
Awesome work, Mark!

Mark,

As a newer bladesmith I fully understand your using the krinite with a bunch of first time processes. You also show off the product as you promised when you received it.

The knife turned out exceptionally well! Making it a true test of your skill. While not a knife many collectors will run to, it is still a work of art. I have several as such in my personal collection. When you earn your rating and become a noted knifemaker the value will be there. In the mean time you learned a bunch of new things. Keep the faith!

I can imagine the amount of time and energy you put into this knife. Personally I like it. I didnt even notice the bade was not polished until it was mentioned. I guess I was fixated on the handle. I was taking in all of the hand work that went into this knife that I began to overlook the big picture. The interesting thing to me was that by reading what the others posted, it caused me to back up and look again. Making me want to be able to pick up the finer points a little better so that when I am evaluating my own work.
In all I like your knife. I even like the handle material. It isn't ivory or MOP, but it does have a bit of elegance to it. I find it interesting that you were able to pull off a number of things on this 14th attempt. Not the least of which was a hollow grind on a dagger style blade.
Great job!

Excellent craftsmanship!!! For not having made many knives it looks to me like you are a natural. I can appreciate all of the hard work that went into making this.:yes::yes::yes:

Wade

At the very first knife show I ever attended in Missoula, Montana, in 2010 I had four knives on my table.

I think they were all hunters. I had a blackwood and ivory handled one, one with redwood burl and bronze guard, and one with ironwood I think.

Then I had one that had bright lime green maple burl. I loved the color and look. Thought it was very cool. It had a real mother of pearl inlay and thorn and vine filework all the way along the spine of the blade. Not something I would necessarily carry myself, but thought it was really cool. I thought maybe a guy would buy it for his wife or some woman at the show (very common actually) would see it and love it. It was slim and elegant and sort of meant to be a ladies knife.

Anyway, it was a pretty busy show, attended by lots of men and quite a few women. My other three knives got handled by almost everyone that stopped at my table and I sold 2 out of those 3. But that bright green handled knife never even got touched, not one single time by even one finger. It never even got mentioned in fact. It was like it was invisible to the public. I had a hard time getting rid of that one after the show too. Finally I did sell it many months later to a lady for her kitchen.

I learned right then and there that some handle materials, in this case green maple burl, are pure poison to many buyers. I'm in this to sell knives and I want to sell as many high end knives that I can so these are sometimes hard-learned but valuable lessons from a strictly selling standpoint.

Mark, it's very important to me that I stress this again- I am REALLY impressed by your work here and not knocking that at all. I believe you know that from your statement that "This is how we learn." You're absolutely right about that. I pay particular attention to what the higher end prominent collectors want and try to catch their eye every chance I can. I see real potential here for you and so just wanted to pass along my insights. I DO NOT know it all or have all the answers.

There is someone out there who would just absolutely die to have this knife exactly the way it is and love the handle too. In fact, the way my luck goes, after I've spouted off about it, someone will post on here right behind me and say "I'd like to buy this knife if it's available." :) There is a buyer for every knife, they just may not be in the vast majority and will take more looking to find them. Even my toxic knife with the 'kiss-of-death" green maple eventually found a home.

Also, I was not aware of any agreement to use and show kirinite prior to this thread so my apologies if anyone was offended. My feeling on the material has not changed so I don't want to seem wishy washy. There is something for everyone. That said, this material will never be desired among most serious knife collectors.

I actually like the cross hatched filework on the frame of the handle. I think it looks neat and well done and the finish on your frame looks great. I really want to see one in blackwood (or ebony or rosewood). I think the workmanship is fantastic and this is all meant to be an encouragement.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
I didn't read any of the posts by other makes so I'm not swayed to comment by their views.
Heres my opinion for what its worth:
I can see you have some real skills and know how to make a great knife. I suspect there is concern with the choice of handle material on this one and thats the first thing that came to mind. Personally I love the looks of the poly pearls but wouldn't use it on a classy knife like this one just because I couldn't sell it for enough money. This knife could also use more work on the blade to bring a higher price.

That said I think you have shown what you can do and people will want one similar with much better handle material. Can you imagine this knife with stag or ivory? What a beauty it would be. it would have to have a hand rubbed higher gloss finish on the blade too but it would command a respectable price.

Wonderful skills on the file work too. The domed pins are terrific also. In fact its an eye catcher all around even with the poly handle.
Nice work!

Mark,

As a newer bladesmith I fully understand your using the krinite with a bunch of first time processes. You also show off the product as you promised when you received it.

The knife turned out exceptionally well! Making it a true test of your skill. While not a knife many collectors will run to, it is still a work of art. I have several as such in my personal collection. When you earn your rating and become a noted knifemaker the value will be there. In the mean time you learned a bunch of new things. Keep the faith!

Thanks George

I can imagine the amount of time and energy you put into this knife. Personally I like it. I didnt even notice the bade was not polished until it was mentioned. I guess I was fixated on the handle. I was taking in all of the hand work that went into this knife that I began to overlook the big picture. The interesting thing to me was that by reading what the others posted, it caused me to back up and look again. Making me want to be able to pick up the finer points a little better so that when I am evaluating my own work.
In all I like your knife. I even like the handle material. It isn't ivory or MOP, but it does have a bit of elegance to it. I find it interesting that you were able to pull off a number of things on this 14th attempt. Not the least of which was a hollow grind on a dagger style blade.
Great job!

Thanks Travis and Bruce for pointing out the blade, the handle was more enjoyable for me and blade more frustrating.
Eric your words sum up exactly what I was doing, overlooking the big picture.

Wade,
"looks to me like you are a natural."
When I was much much younger I dreamed of being the next Buster Warinski, now I just want to continue to improve and that will only come with practice, patience and persistence, oh yeah and money for belts.

A little off topic, could someone explain how to multi quote in the same post?

Mark that is a knife to be proud of very well done like your pins excellent workmanship,use the best handle material you can get, you still may be able to hand finish your blade if you could find a way to hold it with out screwing up your handle, when I used to solder the guards you had to refinish the back of the blade, I have a wooden block ground the same radios as the wheel you do your hollow grinding with to sand with, also a rubber one, also use stone's on hollow grinds, have try'd all kinds of belt finishes but never liked any of them, now the metal sheath, thanks for posting. Deane

Thanks Deane appreciate your comments , highly valued.

I'm going to try and figure a way to hold it to give hand sanding a go thanks for the tips.

I will do a sheath but a few things to take care of before I can get back into the shop.

Back