KMG-TX

Yep! I've had mine for about 6 months and love it. IMO there are just a lot of "little touches" that put it notch above other machines. I also purchased the articulating work rest..... and again, there simply isn't anything like it out there.

I finally saved enough money and have one on order. Got the articulating rest and an extra tool arm. It’s gonna be delayed a couple of weeks because they are having trouble receiving some switches. Hopefully it won’t be much longer than that. One reason I ordered it was because the shipping time was shorter than some others. Some manufacturers have a three or four month lead time. Another reason was Ed’s review. If he likes it that much I should be well satisfied with it.

Just a thought..... If you're getting the entire "plug-n-play" unit, go with the highest HP motor offered! That will give you something to "grow" into, and you won't be disappointed when your skills surpass the abilities of a lower HP motor. Some folks, who have told me that "my 1HP motor has done everything I've ever needed it to" may disagree, but if you're serious about grinding, it's very common for your grinding skills to easily surpass the abilities/power of a 1 or 1 1/2 HP motor. ;)

I have the TW90 but after checking out the TX I’m liking that package as well.

I keep checking their website. I'd be interested if they offered it just as a chassis. Not really needing the electrics or tooling.

I really like the design of the new KMG-TX, but would have a hard time choosing between the Reeder grinder, and it's available as chasis for around $600 or so. And, of the SGA I've seen the Reeder wins hands down.

I really like the design of the new KMG-TX, but would have a hard time choosing between the Reeder grinder, and it's available as chasis for around $600 or so. And, of the SGA I've seen the Reeder wins hands down.
What’s a SGA?

Bruce has it correct - Surface Grinder Attachment. Perhaps one of the most useful tools around. Easy to build, almost as easy as a good 2X72 grinder. BUT - there are several commercial units for purchase. Travis of TW90 fame has one of the original designs. OneArmed built one of the first homebrew units after he found a source for the parts. After his DIY thread there have been many more built.

If you need just a chassis the Reeder may be the way to go but there are a few things I like better about the KMG. Steel frame, the ratchet belt tension, tracking mechanism and the way the tooling arms lock in. I bought the articulating tool rest with an extra arm and it was still $200-$300 cheaper that the Reeder. The tool rest on the Reeder isn't as versatile as the KMG. I saw the Reeder grinder at Bladeshow and spoke with Mr. Reeder. He's a good guy and makes a good grinder. It's like everything else in knife making, a personal preference. None of us make knives the same way or like the same things. Thank God. That's what makes knifemaking fun.

the way the tooling arms lock in
That was one of the best "surprises" in the KMG TX machine..... Prior to it, I was totally against using aluminum tooling arms, simply because for me, they got chewed up so much/quickly, that I would have to make new ones every 4-6 months. The lock down "tab" on the TX is a very small thing, but it prevents any damage to aluminum tooling arms, and was pure genius on Rob Frink's part.

"All Steel" is a requirement for me when it comes to any grinder. I've used many grinders that touted themselves as "all aluminum for light weight and durability"..... and personally, they just have far too much vibration/chatter/bounce to them when compared to a machine that is all steel construction. It's just all about the total weight of the machine.

But, as Randy said.... and I am in TOTAL agreement:
It's like everything else in knife making, a personal preference. None of us make knives the same way or like the same things. Thank God. That's what makes knifemaking fun.

Love my Reeder! 2hp wish it was the 3!

Speaking for myself, when I first started, I thought that there could never be a reason that anyone would every need more than a 1hp grinder...... as my grinding skills improved, I found that it became common for me either stall the motor or trip a breaker, even if the 1hp was wired for 220v..... so eventually I went to a 2hp.... thinking the same thing...that there was no way in the world that I would ever need anything more......but again, after an even shorter time frame, I once again was back to stalling the grinder or tripping breakers.

So...... then I went to 3hp motors..... and so far, have only had rare instances where I've slowed the grinder (what I've found is that with a 3hp motor, the belt slips before the motor stalls.....as long as you have a solid drive wheel.) I have a rubber coated drive wheel on my 3hp original KMG, with a 10" serrated wheel for profiling and other heavy tasks, and if I really lean into it, I can drag the motor down a bit....but after learning the sound, it's just a reaction now, to let up when I hear that sound.

Some might remember the one whom many consider the greatest blade grinder ever.... the late Bob Engnath. The last time I ever visited his shop before he passed, there were custom made grinders, from 2x72" to belt sizes I never imagined. The smallest motor on any of his grinders was 5hp (he had 2 Older Burr Kings, each with 5hp motors)..... all the way up to a 10hp on a machine that I believe was a 3 or 3 1/2" x 132". Bob was the best, and the fastest blade grinder I have ever seen, or likely ever will. We're talking about a guy who could literally take a profiled katana blank, and have it ready to heat treat in a matter of MINUTES. When he talked about grinders, he would always say.... "There is no substitute for Horsepower when it comes to grinding." While I know it's always best to slow down, and take your time when grinding..... when you have those kind of grinding skills..... smaller HP motors only hold you back. I know there are times with my original KMG and that big steel hubbed 10" serrated wheel, that I wish I had more "ponies". :)

Last edited:
Bruce has it correct - Surface Grinder Attachment. Perhaps one of the most useful tools around. Easy to build, almost as easy as a good 2X72 grinder. BUT - there are several commercial units for purchase. Travis of TW90 fame has one of the original designs. OneArmed built one of the first homebrew units after he found a source for the parts. After his DIY thread there have been many more built.

I just might have to see one of these days if I can find someone to Mill the parts out for me for one.

What advantage is the 3 over the 2 - other than more horse power. Is there an appreciable benefit?
Is it torque? Curious, I never really thought about it.

I started a new way to grind. Shown to me by Jordan Lamothe. You use the work rest, crank the RPM, 36-40G Ceramic belt, lean into it hard do your full pass. I've actually bogged my 2HP down to the point of almost stalling it. I also have the 1725 RPM motor so its higher torque than 3400 RPM. If i had the 3hp I dont think that would be an issue? I would swap the motor but I would need a new VFD too! I should have bought the Larger VFD when I bought the KBAC27 it was only 10 bucks more for the KBAC29! Then I could have bought the larger motor!! But I didn't know anything back then!!

Back