Knife #3 Almost Finished

CDHumiston

KNIFE MAKER
I've just about finished this one up. I still have some final polishing and buffing to do.

Blade: D2 Tool Steel
Guard: Nickel Silver
Scales: Jade G11 with Mosaic Pins

I was wondering if anyone else has problems with drilling holes in the Jade G11? I was VERY careful and did all the standard practices to keep it from chipping, but as you can see it's still not perfect...

here are some pictures.

DSC01848.jpg

DSC01847.jpg

DSC01845.jpg

DSC01849.jpg

DSC01840.jpg

Thanks for looking...

Any constructive criticism on this one. I'm only going to get better if I know what I may be doing wrong....

That knife makes the lanyard look good. LOL... nice job how hard was the guard I want to try doing a guard some day..

That knife makes the lanyard look good. LOL... nice job how hard was the guard I want to try doing a guard some day..

The guard was a little tough. I shaped it from a piece of Nickel Silver bar stock. The biggest deal is getting the slot where the blade goes in perfect. I ground the contours with a nice dremel sanding drum from Foredom. They have many different sizes and grits you can't find anywhere else. They have Trizact sanding drums for dremel!

I wish I could have hidden the pin perfectly, but it still shows a little.

Thanks,

Heck, I think you did a great job.

did you peen the pin or just glue it? a good peen really hides pins good.

That looks great Chris how did you like working with the G11 hard stuff isn’t it. I had the same problem with it chipping I'm using some on a blade now and what I did was glue the scales on, drill the pin holes, glued the pins in and then used my band saw and a 1/2 inch metal cutting blade and the fence and slowly sliced the sides of the scales down trying not to get the pins to hot. I still had a little discoloration around the pins, I think it could be the fibers breaking during the drilling process. I'll try using multiple drill sizes next like GLWJ/CK says.

If you run out G11 let me know I still have some.

Hey Chris that knife looks pretty good. One problem i will address is those those big Parallel scratches on the riccaso area. I am new to all this also but they really jump out at me much more than the pins in the guard. Scratches drive me nuts! I guess that comes from working on jewelry. I find that finishing is one of the more difficult aspects of knife making for me. Steel is much more difficult to finish than gold or silver.On the holes i use masking tape to cover the area were the drill will exit on wood. Works great on wood. Try it on a scrap piece of g11. Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Nice Job Chris! I havent tried the G11 yet but I do have some so I will try the suggestions listed in this thread! keep up the good work!

I made a lot of hunters for real use back several years. I believe the one you made has an ideal blade shape perhaps with being just a bit too wide and a great handle that will allow it to be used fully. Round, retagular, or over sized handles just aren't comfortable to use. I can't tell if you have used a convex or concave grind but either will work well. Nicely done !!! Frank

Any constructive criticism on this one. I'm only going to get better if I know what I may be doing wrong....

I do not think my work is good enough to criticize anyone else's,so I do
not feel real comfortable saying anything negative,but I know that is
the best way we can improve.

Other than what has already been said,the only thing that I see is
the scraches that go from the guard to the tip of the blade.I had
the exact same problem for a few years,I would hand sand,and sand.
I would think I had all the scraches out,I would then go to the buffer
to try for that mirror finish,but all that would do is make all the scraches
shine.I would then try more hand sanding,but more times than not,I already
had the handle on,and that makes it very tough to sand.I now keep my blades away from the buffer.I am getting much better,or more patient,with my sanding and I take it to 600 and get a good satain finish.I know if someone ever ask for a mirror finish,thats whatI will have to do.
I will say the first thing that I did notice was the guard,looks as though you did a real good job on fitting it up.2thumbs
I can say yours looks much better than my 3rd or 30th.All you need is a little
more patience.

Keep up the good work,and keep posting pic.

God bless,Keith

For your third knife this is outstanding! When drilling your holes next time use a fresh sharp bit on your handle material, regardles of what kind of material it is, that may stop the chipping. The handle pin looks like it is a diffrent material than the gaurd, if so thats why it shows. As for the scratches on the ricasso area ther is nothing you can do, you can sand the scratches off of the bevel area by hand if you are very careful and paitent. I'm sure your next knife will be much improved over this one, keep up the good work. Take this knife and use it, use it, use it to see how it performs then you will know if it is realy a good knife.

Chris I had trouble too same thing. What you need to do is drill the other way mark your the outside of the scales and drill from the outside inward . Also use a real sharp bit. kellyw

Back