Knife classifieds?

exitium

Im still very new to knife making but a common trend in all small biz seems to be marketing your product. Ive been a long time license holder of an online classified software product but am not currently using it. Im just wondering if I put up a site for knifemakers to post there wares on, would anyone take advantage of it? My goal would be a free site that knifemakers could use to show off their product. Any purchases would be handled directly by the knife maker outside of the site.

It's never a bad idea to show your wares, preferably to the public.
Trying to sell on any of the knife forums is limited at best. You're trying to sell to the competition or because of the format, visitors can't see any pics of the knives unless you import from an offsite photo place. I'm sure I'm not the only one who can see the advantages of your idea, work it out and tell us what you come up with. There's a couple sites like that around although I don't know how succesfull they are.

Rudy

I do think without a doubt that there is room on on the net for another knife dedicated classified type site.

As rudy mentioned, having a for sale knife site that can easily be loaded to directly from my iPad, computer or an IPhone which I will have to get soon. My production has been greatly scaled back but I am still wanting to sell say 3-5 a month and I know that there are many other makers looking for a clean place to sell. I suggest that you have a No Drama G Family rated place like the fine example of BossDog's site right here. That's if you want to have any kind of Forum setup?

Perhaps a "talk with the makers area"?

The trick will be for you to do the marketing to drive more buyers than makers to the site or classified forum.

Tell us more?

Thanks for the input guys. The idea is a simple classifieds site dedicated to hand made custom blades. It wouldnt be like a forum at all, it would be categorized to help viewers find what type of knife they are after. By default it has simple fields, like seller, cost, description. Additional fields can be added like knifemakers website and any number of custom fields for data about the blade such as handle material, length, thickness, steel type etc etc, all of which can be used by a search feature for people to easily nail down what they are after.

Classified sites have always been kind of a catch 22, it takes ads to draw people as well as other ad posters.

Saved in my favorites till I get an idea of what I want to do.
Thanks for setting this up. Is that dog really $249 , looks he'd eat that much in a week ?

Thanks,
Rudy

haha, no that was just an image I was using to test the image upload function. My host limits file uploads to 6 meg which complicates things because most images straight from the camera are larger than that when uncompressed and the jpg (and other compressed formats) get uncompressed when being uploaded so unless someone has something like photoshop and they open an image they wont know the image uncompressed file size. Most images that are 1700x1150 pixels or smaller should be less than 6meg and that size image should be ample for showing off ones work.

Back